Oh my gosh!!

Rocketman

Registered
Holy hanna! I just cannot believe what a day it was today. I have been watching the AMA races on the speed channel for years. Wifey and I hopped on the busa today and wound our way over to the new Miller Sportspark in Utah for the AMA races.

Here is the link to see a vid and pics.

Words cannot describe the experience. I don't care too much about celebs and stuff since they are real people. But seeing Duhamel, Zemke, Bostroms, Yates, and everyone else up close - well that was just unreal.

There were at least 200 locals' bikes parked together in the parking lot. (Trying not to exaggerate here.)

At the track, we caught the qualifying and practicing. The sound of the bikes with their open pipes was just amazing. Wifey turns to me and says - "Now I know the feeling you have when you're watching this on TV and out their running the twisties."

We walk up to the track - very close - and are blown away as a stream of privateers blast past us at high speed. Some girl named Jessica something, long hair flowing, overtakes one of the guys on the straighaway. Wow!

We have never been to one of these events so we don't know what to do. We make our way around the other end of the track. All of the sudden - we're watching Duhamel and Zemke signing autographs!! Cewl. Then we see Ben Spies getting pic's with some utes... *youths* (my cousin vinny impression)

We're staring at all these fantastic bikes in their little garages. We see all the guys we've seen so many times on TV. We even saw Greg from the speed channel - pointed head and all.

It's a surreal day for us. We head down to the south end to watch the top 15 or so riders go through their paces. OK - I thought the busa was really fast and that I had talent riding. guess what - I was wrong. The true definition of fast and talented - those guys running the AMA. OH MY GOSH! It is so much faster than TV. I was gritting my teeth watching these guys blow up to what - 190mph+ - and slide into a turn where the bike was laid so low I couldn't believe they made the turns. We were just blown away. (Yeah Steakr00 - you're used to it.)

Coming back to the pits and seeing all the privateers, all the bizzare girls in their loin clothes and spray on tight clothing - was just a trip. (On some of those girls - they had more camel toe than material. Unreal.) Wifey says - did you see those girls butts? I'm like - I'm not even gonna look... that was just too little material for me to be comfy with. We were cracking up!!

Then we see that reporter from the Femme Moto gig they did in Las Vegas a few months ago and watch her do some interviews. That was amazing because we've only seen these people on the Speed channel... just amazing.

So the finale of the day - Mat Mladin shows up. I got plenty of video of him waking by us with his fam to the bikes, getting his gear on and heading out to the track. (I'll post them tomorrow.)

We watch the 4pm race for a while knowing we have to leave before it's over. (We had family flying in and had to pick up at the airport. Dangit!!) Did I mentioned we were blown away by the privateers when we first walked in? - we were doubly blown away watching these pro's fly past us full tilt. It was so incredible to be that close to these guys and to the track.

Unbelievable day. I love this sport.
AAAssjani.gif
Link to AMA pics and Vid's I took

<!--EDIT|shawn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151278384 -->

Wicked stuff isn't it! Aaron Yates will be at the Seattle 100 in July and I get to go out on the track with him
cool.gif

The talent these guys/gals have is sureal to watch. Easy to get intimidated if you try to compare so don't. Just be happy learning and improving.
tounge.gif

Yeah Shawn, I understand. My son and I went to Barber in Birmingham, Al last year and were hooked. I've got all the posters that we got signed and the pictures that we took. The races were outstanding. It's all different up close and personal.

Dan

im looking forward to the ama championships at mid-ohio coming in august........ cant wait to get to the track and see these guys in action!!!!!

Back