Oh man, Juli is going to be mad at me....how long to leave meat out?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I laid out some really nice steaks last night in the sink to thaw. They were frozen solid. I forgot and went to bed. They were out about 7 hours. How long can you safely leave meat out before you have to throw it away? Once thawed, 2 hours? I have no idea how long it took them to thaw. They were just a little cool, almost room temperature this morning.

One thing is for sure, my wife would NEVER let us eat it. Her mom is an infection control nurse and she is SO DANG ridiculous about raw meat, and undercooked stuff.. :banghead:

Solid Meat is completely different from ground meat. Might not eat ground beef unless
cooked thoroughly, but solid steak? As long as you sear the surfaces you are fine.

have you ever heard of "aged" meat.... guess how they do that.

if she gets too mad, i think you need to leave for at least the next week...come on over and we can find plenty trouble to get in to! :beerchug:

p.s. bring the steaks, i'll eat 'em :lol:

your fine, slap'em on the grill i'll be down in a few:thumbsup:

although i have a hard time with this, my son is taking a class, and they had food safety, supposedly 2 to 3 hrs is all its should be out for, anymore and it starts collecting bacteria.

Thats the thing, they were frozen like a brick. So I am hoping they are still good. And I do grill them to sear em. Will make sure I get the internal up around 170. Wish me luck! :laugh:

eh should be ok if you are meat eaters. Probably not the best if you were converting a vegan :laugh:

most likely, the worst case you get an upset tummy but suspect if you cook them correctly you should be ok. Make sure you have more than one roll of TP first just in case :rofl:

They should be fine if they are still a little cool to the touch and not turning grey in color. Stick them in the frige and grill them bad boys up. :thumbsup:

It'll be fine. I remember science class when i was a kid and the subject was nuclear war (back in the "duck and cover" days), they said that solid beef was one of the most durable meats, took a very long time to spoil. they actually said to just scrape mold and such off of it, cook it and it was perfectly safe to eat. Don't know that i'd go that far, but i'd say a few hours at room temperature won't affect it at all. Now burger, that's a different story..

Thanks for making me feel better. If it was just one steak I would toss it, but I laid out enough for the whole family. Dang that Reasor's meat sale! :laugh:

Back