"Official" Clutch Thread

Few more parts today. Marinating “the meat” overnight... lol

Hard to say for sure, but the first steel looks bad, the others not so much. The fibers look ok. Did you measure them? It could be most of that clutch is still good. I have a granite to check steels but have found you can tell if they are ok by looking at how much abuse they took and how easily they slide over the inner basket. Since you got a new clutch you might as well use it but you don't have to throw away the used one until you check it out. FYI you really don't need to soak the fibers, just coat them with some oil and put them in. You will probably find the clutch drags at first until you flash it a couple times.

Met up with Rob @Boosted Cycle Perf today, real cool cat. Picked up a welded clutch hub. Thanks Rob! Will be seeing ya soon to get injectors cleaned and bike tuned. That said, initial startup went good. No loud bangs or hand grenades going off. Cold drop into gear, barley made a clunk. After a small warm up ride, the clunk was slightly louder but not like it was. Clutch engages about 1/4 off bar. Stack height was at 2in. Might go back in and change a thick steel out for a thin one to move engagement point out a bit further after I brake it in. Speaking of brakes, still have air in those. Grrrrr. Noticed after I got back I had a small drip of oil from clutch cover. Re torqued at 7ftlb.

Some red loctight on inner hub bolts and blue on the outer ones. Blue loctight on hub nut and staked.

#4 steel swapped out with old #1. Checked for level on granite countertops ( don’t tell wife ) then hit lightly with scotch bright pad. Waiting for gasket to dry ( used super thin coat of rtv) then for a warm up ride and re torque cover.

#4 steel swapped out with old #1. Checked for level on granite countertops ( don’t tell wife ) then hit lightly with scotch bright pad. Waiting for gasket to dry ( used super thin coat of rtv) then for a warm up ride and re torque cover.
What's a little motor oil on the granite....?? She won't notice until she makes a sandwich and it tastes like 5/30....

Final thoughts, clutch still “jumps” a little when put in gear. Not near as bad as it did befor all started. Changing out that steel like Rob @Boosted Cycle Perf told me about, moved the engagement point further off the bar. ( essentially shortening the stack height ). Have only rode 1 mile but felt good between shifts. Now to finish addressing a brake issue. Man they feel soft. I would swear there is air in them but I can’t find it. Might have to bribe @c10 to come out here and give his hand a try at them.

Final thoughts, clutch still “jumps” a little when put in gear. Not near as bad as it did befor all started. Changing out that steel like Rob @Boosted Cycle Perf told me about, moved the engagement point further off the bar. ( essentially shortening the stack height ). Have only rode 1 mile but felt good between shifts. Now to finish addressing a brake issue. Man they feel soft. I would swear there is air in them but I can’t find it. Might have to bribe @c10 to come out here and give his hand a try at them.

have you broke the banjo bolt lose at the master, and the slave?LOTS of air gets trapped in those spots.

Vibrating the line at It’s lowest point and then up the line, slowly, will cause air bubbles to rise, like tapping a pipe with a mallet down low. Anything that vibrates will work. Works right away too.

Not sure if this video will post. Trying to show idle rpm, afr and how far or close the engagement is on the clutch. Cold start drop into gear gets no clunk, smooth as butter. After warmup I get the clunk. Probably normal

Back