Official "Best Hot Weather Gear" thread!

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Okay, it's getting to be hot weather soon for most of us, let's save new riders and members all the trial and error and $$$ we've spent and give them a definitive resource for selecting good, protective gear for the hot-weather months! Maybe with a good response we'll get it pinned.

*Please tell what the item is, not just pictures.

I'll start- I own all these items.

Gloves- Joe Rocket Phoenix- mesh/leather- mesh on back of hand and tops of fingers with air intakes built into the knuckle guards. Solid leather on contact surfaces, with extra layers built into palms for abrasion resistance. Also the most absolutely comfortable glove on the planet bar none.
Just bought Alpinestars GP Pro racing gloves, works for Nicky Hayden so should be good enough for me! I haven't worn them in hot weather yet, but are awesome gloves so far!

Phoenixglove.jpg

GPPro.jpg

Jacket- This will split opinions, I am a gear Nazi but I wear a mesh jacket in 100 degree heat, or don't ride. They are MUCH more protection than nothing, but not as good as leather. So...

Mesh- Joe Rocket Rio. Good padding and protection, and literally as cool as a t-shirt as long as you're moving. Cheap also, $50-$80 on the web.

ridegear.com

Leather perforated- Alpinestars Stage. Awesome jacket, good for anything up to 90's as long as you're moving.

Stage1.JPG

Boots- Alpinestars SMX-R perforated. Your extremities GREATLY affect core body temperature, cool down hands, feet, and head and you're much cooler and less susceptible to heat stroke. These boots actually flow air you can feel on your feet, these and a pair of SIDI Monza Coolmax socks and your feet actually stay cool on a hot day. Unbelievable.

smxrbootblack_main.jpg

Pic above does not show perforations, but does have vents like the perfed model.

Socks- before mentioned SIDI Monza Coolmax. Made especially for motorcycle boots, tall enough to avoid chafing, thin enough to flow air and wick sweat away from feet.

Sidisox-lg.jpg

Pants- Still not sure- have Alpinestars Bat leather with patches of perforations, but haven't ridden in hot weather yet.

Bat1.jpg

Have JR Phoenix mesh pants for "is it just too damn hot to ride" days- they have good protection knees and hips, but they are an overpant style and I can't tuck them into my boots. Looking for some mesh pants that tuck in.

P.S.- Just ordered this Fieldsheer Iceberg Vest, have read reviews that the evaporative cooling effect under a mesh jacket works very well, like riding with a wet shirt on but keeps the shirt you are wearing close to dry!

IceBergVest.jpg

Don't care how hot it gets down here I'm wearing perf. leather jacket (w/ UA HeatGear shirt), solid leather gauntlet gloves, ICON Anthem Kevlar Jeans (if not perf. leather pants) and SIDI boots.

Some of those Mesh jackets won't hold up any better than soft denim.

I don't mind the sweat.
firedevil.gif

I like the fieldsheer mesh/leather jacket. Got leather in the right places and CE approved armor in the elbows and shoulders.

I had a hard get-off wearing a joe rocket mesh. The jacket held up without tearing. I did break my collar bone though, with the limited padding in that area. That's why I went with the better armor.

Just my 2cents.

Chris

it is a good ideas...so, newbee's don't have to go thru what we've been thru...hmmm.
well, here is what I've got.
Before, I start anything..."""""THE HEAT GEAR IS A MUST...FOR SUMMER RIDE'''''""
and perforated leather is first consider. (some of mesh jacket does not protect the body much, not like leather does...)
This jacket has excellent air flow...
super.gif

548_2727__Small_.jpg

and the 2007 new spidi race vent...(I'm waiting on this one...) I'll put reviews when I test em...
super.gif

spidi_racevent.jpg

What I would tell any newbie reading this is to buy it when you buy the bike and WEAR it! You dont have to spend a lot of money but in this game, you really do get what you pay for! Joe Rocket is moderately priced and of really good quality.

In the summer I have a mesh / leather combo Joe Rocket Reactor jacket - best piece of gear I own. Buy them tight, they stretch over time.

Pants in the summer? Dont even think about reducing below thick jeans. Joe Rocket Blaster perf leather pants are perfect once things get below 90 degrees - I had mine on at the dam* beach last weekend and this couple walked by on the board walk. The chick said "God*** honey, we need to get you a pair of those"..... I assume (uhem) she was talking about the pants..... so yep, protection AND you'll turn heads in them too!

I also feel that if you are wearing a helmet, you should also be wearing boots. real riding boots, dont care which ones but any of those posted above are great just get them and wear them. My Gaerne boots are so comfortable that I wear them all day around the office when I ride to work - not a fashion statement but those suckers are as comfy as any Reebok sneaks...

Oh, and another piece of advise on gear (well sorta).... Dont ride in the middle track while braking down on the approach to an intersection. Cars leak oil! Happened to me recently and I was almost glad I wore gear - didnt go down but it was a close as the Busa has been to it...

Ride Safe!

"I had mine on at the dam* beach last weekend and this couple walked by on the board walk. The chick said "God*** honey, we need to get you a pair of those"..... I assume (uhem) she was talking about the pants....."  
ices_rofl.gif

Yes I agree with you all, I wear protection everytime I ride.  For one; it is manditory due to me being in the military, and two; It gives you a since of security and piece of mind that if the sh*t hits the fan you might just save your self a lot of pain and suffering if you wear the right protective gear.

Nothing p*sses me off more (or makes me chuckle under my breath) then seeing some MR. COOL guy riding his SUPER COOL SPORT BIKE with no helmet, wearing nothing but a T-Shirt, Shorts, and a pair of K Swisses (some times even flip flops) and not even looking like he knows what he is doing on a motorcycle.
crazy.gif

I like Tourmasters "Cortech HRX" gear for riding hot weather..and i live in south florida..so i wear it pretty much year round.

Cortech2.jpg

I bought the Cortech HRX jacket with a coupon and a gift certificate and wound up liking the jacket so much that i ordered up the matching pants from newenough.com.

The carcuss is a tight mesh and then has brazilian leather in all the right places with removable and location adjustable CE hard armor...it also has a two stage liner system..the first liner gear is a windproof/waterproof liner and the 2nd stage liner is thermal lining for both the pants and the jacket..but the cool part is...not only is this stuff real protective?...but with the liners out?...the pants are actually "COOLER" in the hot weather than just wearing jeans...as they actually flow more air than jeans seem to.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(hydrabusa @ Apr. 01 2007,05:16) this is the famous power ranger boots...
biggrin.gif
Hey Hydra, those look like awesome boots but I don't see ANY ventilation- don't your feet sweat to death??

(Shibumi @ Apr. 01 2007,08:23)
biggrin.gif
Hey Hydra, those look like awesome boots but I don't see ANY ventilation- don't your feet sweat to death??
Shibumi...it does have a two hole air duck on it(between toe slider and ankle) it opens and lock and closes and lock...

air_vent.jpg

and in SIDI...even the cheaper models got one of those option...(which I have this pair too...)
super.gif

i36032__Small_.jpg

Moved to Riding Gear for Housekeeping
smile.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Apr. 03 2007,19:26) Moved to Riding Gear for Housekeeping
smile.gif
Thanks MC- I never can find the appropriate forum! Comes from hitting "New Posts" all the time...
laugh.gif

...And I NEVER want to see you on here wearing a frilly apron!!!
SHOCKED.gif

(Shibumi @ Apr. 01 2007,08:23)
biggrin.gif
Look again
tounge.gif

They work VERY well in hot weather
wink.gif

+10000 on Under Armor Heat gear shirt-it'll be the best shirt you buy all summer!!!

I use my ICON Skull Motorhead jacket but its only good if you're moving-cruise a strip n you'll be aching from the hot, heavy leather....but, i'd rather complain about sweat, than giant strawberries n road rash grit under my skin!
also wear ICON Superduty II boots-great fit, but not so much airflow. great protection tho.

ICON Strongarm jeans are my fav, but I may add some knee/shin armor underneath for long rides on the interstate, JIC.

South Texas heat is bad  
ukliam3.gif
I wear the Joe Rocket phenix 4.0 jacket with the gloves. Last year I was runover by a truck at an intersection and slid thru the whole intsection. The phenix jacket and gloves held up great no rips or tears. The mesh was all scuffed up on the left elbow which hit the gound first then the back where I rolled over as I was sliding thru the intersection. My hjc helmet was torn up pretty good too, on the left and back side. I came out of the whole ordeal with two cracked ribs and a scar on my left knee as I was wearing denim jeans. I have since bought the Icon hooligan pants. I don't want to find out the hard way if they work or not.  
laugh.gif

Back