Off topic .Whats the best touring bike?

OB_Sid

Registered
I am looking for a bike to use when speed is not important won't sell the busa but there must be something for trips with the old lady.I am considering a BMW 1200LT. Any views on this subject?

GL1500! Not as nimble or fuel efficient as the BMW but more plush and allows more cargo space. I've logged over 15K on mine. Nice bike for their intended purpose.

They can also be found more readily in secondhand markets. my .02

That's kinda like asking what is the best way to have fun on a date with a really ugly woman.

Most of us, if we knew, wouldn't admit it.8=)

We all draw the line at different places, and for me it's at around 600 pounds. Somewhere around there a bike stops being a motorcycle and becomes a two-wheeled car or truck.

When a major part of the equation becomes, How much will it carry, or tow, I'll opt for four wheels over two. Autos carry or tow far more efficiently, and even handle and perform better than a lot of touring bikes.

Maybe someday I'll get old enough or my waistline will get big enough that tourers will make sense to me. God, I hope not!

The BMW K 1200 you mentioned seems to be getting a lot of support from the mag. writers. I do know that the current Wing is being replaced with a new model; supposed to be 1800cc. A warped, speed-crazy dude like me would check out the BMW, then if I didn't like that, wait for the new G. Wing.

Being you are asking this question on a sport bike board I would assume you are leaning towards a bike that handles. I have a ST 1100....a little top heavy but I love it. I also have a 89 Yamaha Venture Royale...a little more vibration and not as comfortable as a wing but in the mountains and performance wise they will smoke a wing..period. You can pick one of those up for less than 5 grand if you look hard. I have also been seriously looking at the BMW...if you ride one you`ll be like me... hooked. I was at a vintage bike meet last week and a writer for Rider Mag came by after leaving the Honda Hoot...his opinion was the beemer was light years ahead of the wing...only the luggage area was small. BMW is also to redisgn seating position this year to lower seating position a couple more inches. The electric windshield is the ticket. Let us know what you decide!

Traded in a '98 Honda Shadow Aero for my Busa it's a great bike for the purpose and I would recommend it to anyone who simply wants to cruise.I got rid of it because my wife wasn't riding with me anymore and I wanted to have fun.Hey Sonny I have a great picture of some guys doing a two up wheelie on a Goldwing just like yours .I'll bring it next weekend.

Chuck

i would have to say the Goldwing followed really close by the BMW, I have ridden them both and the only reason why i say the goldwing is because there are more options that go with a Goldwing.

The Wing got to be the best tourer, followed by the ST1100. But if your buying on a budjet check out the Kawasaki Concours around $8000 new:

shaft drive
7.5 gallon tank
removeable luggage
bulletproof

if may not look as modern, but it has truly withstood the test of time.
Go Connie,

Michael Lee

not to predjudice but if your not racing around get a harley. ill admit im young and have a jap bike. but you better believe when i get done racing or just want to cruise thats what im going for. the worst thing in my mind is to see people drivin the harley look a likes. they are not to much cheaper and i just dont like em. thats just my opinion. go for the ultraclassic. goldwings are good to.

the absolute best bike for sport touring is The Hayabusa, with Vista Cruise throttle lock, foam grips, Suzuki gel seat, machined billet aluminum handlebar spacer by Beloruski(rzvwyn@aol.com) , RKA Saddlebags and tankbag.

It performs better than all the bikes you guys are describing, the price is right, and the insurance is less. Assuming you already own one. The only drawbacks? It doesn't weigh 800 lbs, it doesn't have acres of chrome, and you only own one bike. Er, that last is a good argument against it, but what the hell.

Back