OEM vs. Custom painted fairings

Blue Lightning

Registered
So I laid the bike over nice and  gentle in some gravel.  The lower fairing looks like it was show with a BB shotgun.  Twice.  It's really beautiful work.  
boohoo.gif

I don't have $450-$650 to replace it with an OEM fairing.  I do, however, know a good (read: cheap) painter.  Now, the question for the Best & Brightest is:  Should I paint it custom - how I'd like it - or put it back to stock in a year or two?  The only thing holding me back is re-sale.  How is it for custom painted bikes?  I can see stock-looking used bikes bringing more money unless you've got some $10k paint job, but you wouldn't even recoup the full value of that.

Enough ranting.  I want to hear your opinion: stock or custom?  (Minding the re-sale.)

minding resale...prolly stock. You would not recoup custom paint costs during a sale or even turn off prospective buyers of different taste.

It really comes down to the buyer. I have learned that the original Suzuki paint, although it looks great new, doesn't hold up as well as Yamaha's paint, for instance. I would rather have a more durable paint job, but I imagine some would prefer original paint, since it implies that the bike hasn't been wrecked.

I always assume any after market parts/work you do are going to be lost during resale; think of all the Harleys and all people put on 'em that they never get $$ back on LOL

But, just to play devil's advocate...what's the harm in making it WHAT YOU WANT while you're enjoying it? Hell with resale unless you know you're not going to keep it long, and just have fun making it what you want...
smile.gif

I always assume any after market parts/work you do are going to be lost during resale; think of all the Harleys and all people put on 'em that they never get $$ back on LOL

But, just to play devil's advocate...what's the harm in making it WHAT YOU WANT while you're enjoying it? Hell with resale unless you know you're not going to keep it long, and just have fun making it what you want...
smile.gif
+1 What she said.

smile.gif
+1, I agree with Michelle
winkold.gif

If you're going to spend the $$ to get it painted, do it how you like. You'll get far more enjoyment out of it knowing that it's something unique and who knows, you may decide to keep it longer!

But, just to play devil's advocate...what's the harm in making it WHAT YOU WANT while you're enjoying it?  Hell with resale unless you know you're not going to keep it long, and just have fun making it what you want...  
smile.gif
+1  What she said.
+1...don't make it any harder then it has to be

If you like your factory paintjob have a bodyshop repair it. Should cost way less than a new one.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
I always assume any after market parts/work you do are going to be lost during resale; think of all the Harleys and all people put on 'em that they never get $$ back on LOL[/quote]

I lost my ass and a half on a car that I'd done that to. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I just don't want to drive the price down because it's not "stock".

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
or even turn off prospective buyers of different taste.[/quote] or <div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
since it implies that the bike hasn't been wrecked.[/quote]

That's what I'm worried about.

Back