OEM plastic?

maXmood

Registered
trying to weigh the options here.. looking to buy OEM plastic to change color or painting all plastic including tank for around $1200..

i would def go with oem plastic option, but depends on the price + shipping..

what do you guys suggest?

Full OEM replacement would be at least $3k, likely more since its a Gen2. (i haven't priced them) If you have a good, timely painter that has done bikes in the past with good results, go the paint option.

Maybe trade for another set of OEM in a color you like more?

Ouch! $3k for new fairings? that's waaay over the budget.. we do have good painters, i was looking for a less expensive way of changing the color.

eBay plastic a big NO? what about www.gsxrfairings.net? same thing?

Ouch! $3k for new fairings? that's waaay over the budget.. we do have good painters, i was looking for a less expensive way of changing the color.

eBay plastic a big NO? what about www.gsxrfairings.net? same thing?

How picky are you? The best most people say about any aftermarket fairings is 8/10. OEM being a 10. The better kits din around $800 or so and usually need some fitting/adjusting to get em on and lookin good.
If it was me, which it once was, a good painter is the way to go. I cent stress "good painter" enough. I had a bad experience which is why I say to check em out and just generally be a smart customer going in. Most single color jobs will run about $1k, it varies a bit depending on where ya live, paint used, ect.
As a general rule, avoid the big box painters, the can lay paint just fine, but the prep work is usually lacking. Just my .02 on the subject and I probly told ya stuff you already knew :laugh:

If thats yer bike in the avatar I have no idea why you would change the color.:thumbsup:

A trade would be great,but shipping cost to your locale.???

Aftermarket Gen I fairings are better than Gen II. The sheer number of parts etc,seems to drop the quality.Guys who have bought Gen II chinese fairings seem to always say they are happy....BUT....its the but that is usually the problem.(fitment,melting,color,paint quality,decal quality,etc)

I have 4 Gen II nose plastics in my shop. The OEM is as imagined,perfect. The 3 chinese ones.... I wouldn't walk across the street to pi55 on them if they were on fire.

And here we go with the chinese plastic debate again.:banghead:

To each his own,I suppose. With yer locale I would guess you could save a couple bucks on chinese fairings,althou they seem to be able to ship their KRAP...oops,I mean hi-quality goods very inexpensively.

Spin the wheel,take a chance,I'll always go OEM myself.

RSD.

a member here named Riki i believe, swapped his out for aftermarket plastics and they look pretty good for short money. he has a topic floating around here with quality pictures.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything but OEM fairings on my bike unless you are going with race fairings. If you are after a paint job, either spend the money and do it right or leave it alone. You might be able to find someone that will swap plastics with you but you are always taking a chance.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything but OEM fairings on my bike unless you are going with race fairings. If you are after a paint job, either spend the money and do it right or leave it alone. You might be able to find someone that will swap plastics with you but you are always taking a chance.

+1000 on oem

OEM Gen II tank and plastics (stickered & padded/shielded, ready to hang)

Tank ~$900
Frame cover ~$275
Rear blinker housings ~$135 each
Front fender ~$170
Body cowling ~$330
Air intake cowling ~165 each
Side cowling ~$400 each
Under cowling ~$165 each
Under cowling rear ~$170
Seat cowling (hump) ~$160

Total $3,335 + S/H

Paint is the cheaper option if you can find a good painter.

i would definitely go for OEM over chinese stuff, but was trying to decide which would be cost effective.. the bike in my avater is my bike, reason why i'm changing/painting the fairings is because the previous owner dropped the bike many times on both sides. No cracks or anything, but he kept painting those fairings cheaply, time after time, build up of paint and all. doesn't look smooth or shiny anymore.

trading would be hard, and selling it after fixing all the crap previous owner did won't cut the cost, i'd be at loss.

$3000 is way over my budget, so i'll have to pass and look for a painter..

Back