Odometer and Speedometer reading off

beaquel

Registered
I never could figure out how I put so many miles on my bike so quickly. 1,000 miles in less than 2 months is not a lot for just about everyone else on here, but it is a lot for me. I used to average less than 2,000 miles per YEAR on my 2 previous bikes. Already having 1,000 miles on my bike after less than 2 months really astonishes me. So, I took the GPS to see if the odometer was bad. As it turns out, my GPS said 14.44 miles and my odometer read 14.8 miles on my commute home from work. That's about a 2.5% error. It's not nearly enough to explain the difference in mileage accumulation, but I'm disappointed to see an error that high. My speedometer was about 2-3 mph off also depending on how fast I was riding. My car on the other hand is only 1/10th of a mile off on the same commute and less than 1 mph off on speed. Why are cars so much more accurate that bikes? It's not like there's a technology gap between cars and bikes. I can't think of any reason they would make bikes so inaccurate.

Can't say about the odometer,

But many suspect the speedometer is optimistic to make riders think they're going faster than they really are. Especially since the error gets bigger and bigger at high speeds...
all_coholic.gif

(beaquel @ Jul. 28 2007,14:55) I never could figure out how I put so many miles on my bike so quickly. 1,000 miles in less than 2 months is not a lot for just about everyone else on here, but it is a lot for me. I used to average less than 2,000 miles per YEAR on my 2 previous bikes. Already having 1,000 miles on my bike after less than 2 months really astonishes me. So, I took the GPS to see if the odometer was bad. As it turns out, my GPS said 14.44 miles and my odometer read 14.8 miles on my commute home from work. That's about a 2.5% error. It's not nearly enough to explain the difference in mileage accumulation, but I'm disappointed to see an error that high. My speedometer was about 2-3 mph off also depending on how fast I was riding. My car on the other hand is only 1/10th of a mile off on the same commute and less than 1 mph off on speed. Why are cars so much more accurate that bikes? It's not like there's a technology gap between cars and bikes. I can't think of any reason they would make bikes so inaccurate.
Have you taken it to a dyno yet?

(beaquel @ Jul. 28 2007,16:55) I never could figure out how I put so many miles on my bike so quickly.  1,000 miles in less than 2 months is not a lot for just about everyone else on here, but it is a lot for me.  I used to average less than 2,000 miles per YEAR on my 2 previous bikes.  Already having 1,000 miles on my bike after less than 2 months really astonishes me.  So, I took the GPS to see if the odometer was bad.  As it turns out, my GPS said 14.44 miles and my odometer read 14.8 miles on my commute home from work.  That's about a 2.5% error.  It's not nearly enough to explain the difference in mileage accumulation, but I'm disappointed to see an error that high.  My speedometer was about 2-3 mph off also depending on how fast I was riding.  My car on the other hand is only 1/10th of a mile off on the same commute and less than 1 mph off on speed.  Why are cars so much more accurate that bikes?  It's not like there's a technology gap between cars and bikes.  I can't think of any reason they would make bikes so inaccurate.
The additional milage if from owning a bike you love to ride
smile.gif

Busas average 7% error on the speedo; most will read fast. This would explain your odometer reading.

You can install a SpeedOhealer and it will assist in correcting the error.

(omslaw @ Aug. 13 2007,05:45) Busas average 7% error on the speedo; most will read fast.  This would explain your odometer reading.

You can install a SpeedOhealer and it will assist in correcting the error.
+1

Back