odd Yoshimura stainless header issue (pics)

O Holy P

Registered
So tonight I was riding the bike pretty hard and nearing the end of the night I was screwing around with an R1 and when he exited I slowed down and the bike did not sound right so I pulled over and it sounded like a huge exhaust leak. Confirmed the bike was not seriously hurt and took it to a service station and pulled the left fairing off after narrowing it down to the left side. I could see fire coming out near the exhaust port on the head but couldn't see any separation because the fairing was in the way. Well when I pulled the fairing I was dumbfounded. The #1 pipe looked like it has separated at some point, I'm not sure, near the flange. If it broke it is such a clean break that it looks like it was perfectly cut with a laser. I thought it might be a slip fit that had come out...but the pipes outside diameter look to be identical. It's a Yoshimura stainless steel header. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think, has anyone ever seen this happen before? I'm still beside myself on how it could have happened...very odd.

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

I believe that pipe fits over the other..
I would unbolt that header and adjust it back in place..looks like one pipe just came out of the other..

Well i looked online and yes that one pipe goes in the other....and scratch that thing i said about taking those header bolts loose..u should be able to wiggle that pipe back inside the other if the rear section of the pipe will allow u to..so u might actuall have to loosen something up in the rear......note::: there is a spring on each of those pipes that holds those two sections together that came apart..so u might actually be missing a spring...i found instruction on how everthing went together i just typed in hayabusa yoshimire header instructions...and dennis kirk had some instructions and pictures if needed..

yup missing your springs. you should have 6 total, outer pipes have 1 on each side, inner pipes have 1 on the outer side.

heres a pic of mine
dsc00320.jpg

It just slide off cause the missing spring, here are couple of pics of what you have apart.

022.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

Looks like the second want to slide off too. Make sure you get a spring kit form Yoshi and slide all in to make sure.:thumbsup:

Wilson, you have a set of headers sitting at home?? Hmmmm......

Yea under most circumstances the inner piece will heat up to seat onto the outer, which is why they are made of different metals. But springs are a must.

I was giving it hell last night...guess she finally gave up and let go. :laugh: It has been on the dyno twice for several hours each time...surprised it didn't happen then... :cookoo:

Back