Odd very Odd and no F1 Codes

bauhaus15

Registered
Hello, new to the site, picked up a 2000 Busa to build and love as my own. I'm well on the way, until, the odd. I was changing the position of the rear suspension and that went without problems. Started the bike and rolled out of the garage. Outside in a sloped area (important? I don't know) bike would not start again. Pushed the bike back in the garage and again it would not start. No F1 codes (even in dealer mode). lifted the tank and looked around for the Oh... thats it, nothing disconnected, fuel pump not turning on. Checked the fuse and yes it was blown (should have looked there first I know), anyway started to blow fuses, I had recently changed handle bar position so I took the choke and the on/off switch apart to look for shorts (nothing), the clutch switch seems to be working since the bike is turning over same for the side stand switch. The bike turns over, fuel pump comes on then blows a fuse. I looked for a short, traced back to the battery and the ground seems hot, the ground wire is tight to the battery and the engine. I disconnect the coupling to the fuel pump and the bike fires up. Button the bike up after trying to start and restart. Roll the bike outside. Get things ready to ride and the bike will not start. It turns over and will not start, check the fuse and its ok. Pump comes no but bike will not start. Tank up, check the connection to the pump, work on the pins reconnect, bike starts. Fuse is ok, bike starts and restarts. Now I'm confused (ok more confused), I took a sample from my tank to see if I got bad gas. No seperation in the sample I took, but there is rust in the tank (I will drain the tank and have it coated), Now I'm thinking it is a fuel delivery problem since the bike will turn over but not start. If you have taken the time to read this I thank you in advance. I've been a rider of many bikes and wanted to get my hands on an unrestricted version of the Busa. The person prior to me did not love the bike, it is obvious, but with TLC I have the bike on dyno at 159 hp using an old version II powercommander. Oh, the bike was running and running well until I went to adjust ride height. It was set more for drag racing.

I'm not very good with electrical stuff, but maybe the rust has clogged the fuel pump/fuel system and causes it to pressure up and the increased resistance causes an overload in voltage and blows the fuse to protect the pump ??

Good Luck, we have some cats on here that are awesome with these problems, they should be here to help soon !!!:thumbsup::beerchug:

Yes, I agree with you I'm going to take the screen out and look for deposits. I'm also going to change out the fuel lines from the tank. Thanks for the info.

First, thank you for the feedback. It is amazing how people can mistreat something they wanted and payed for (somehow or another). Anyway, the fact is old deposits in the screen and stainer. I have ordered new items (thanks for that info) and sent my tank to get cream coated. Now I have to look around for more areas of abuse and neglect. I've changed the sprockets front and rear, chain (x link), wheels, bearings, rotors, engine gaskets, valve adjustment, cam alignment, auto cam chain adjuster, changed all fluids, suspension adjustment, fort seals, rewired tail section, centered the license plate (new Florida law), put resisters in line for leds that were on the bike, new seat, grips, windshield, and I think other do dads. Anything else?, Thanks for all the help I moved here from the buell org pages. I gave up my modified x1 Lightning to ride this. Well eventually ride this. :banghead:

sounds like a nice makeover and she'll probably feel as good as new when up and running again. make sure you post some pic's when your finished. :beerchug:

I uploaded (word I guess) pictures of my makeover bike. Running very well idle is off just a bit but I'm working on that.

haya 1.jpg

I noticed that spring is missing on the idle screw on the throttle body. Why would someone remove that? I can not see a advantage to doing this. The more I look around the more I say "what the ----", its getting less and less now. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

iwas in the same boat. But my bike had sat awhile with 1/4 tank fuel. BAAADD thing i found out. I freaking did everything i thought but it wouldnt run worth crap. Thing is no codes were coming up just the C00. Finally talked to factory mechanic he said fuel injector clogged or fuel pump. If you get your fuel pump together and your tank back on and it run like crap. unplug one injector at a time then plug back. When you unplug one and it still runs there is your problem. I was so happy to find the problem but went ahead and did fuel pump too hate to clean injector to only clog it again with rust from pump. Vice Cersa in your case good luck.

Sounds like you have every thing under control. Like the guys said, get the injectors flow tested and synconize the throttle bodies. Nice find once you get the bugs worked out.:thumbsup:

Riding it for awhile now back and forth to work (60 miles round trip). I can settle the idle by clutching in neutral at a stop. Comes and goes no pattern to the issue. I hate to take it down again and miss out on the riding time (Florida is great this time of year - sorry to anyone who thinks I'm gloating) I'm just trying to figure out the bike. I've posted in another section to ask questions also. This site has been very helpful.:thumbsup:

Back