Odd Sounds, Somethings Wrong Here. Assistance please?

ProvorseD

Registered
I took my bike to Texas Yamaha in League City because thats where I go for most of my motorcycle needs. I talked to them about this issues and they told me that it sounds like my transmission is going out but I need to take it to Suzuki Dealership for proper diagnostics. What I got from them is that they were not interested in the work and didn't want to deal with the thing.

This is my 2008 Hayabusa with just under 24k miles on it. I have not had any significant adjustments made to it.

When I start it cold it makes almost a purring sound from the bottom right side. Make a purring sound with your tongue and them amplify that to be louder than my exhaust and you will have it exactly right. When I pull the clutch in, the sound changes tones. I am interested in figuring this out to find if its something I can handle myself.

I made a video. Check it out and let me know what you think. I appreciate any help on the situation.
You can really hear it when I get to the right side of the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the clutch cover, sounds like a clutch spring bolt!

Yep, sounds like a clutch bolt.
The 08's had a recall for the clutch bolts backing out and rubbing the inside of the cover. Some apparently didn't get threadlocker at the factory.
Simple fix, locktite and retorque them.
You can pull the clutch cover with the bike on the kickstand and not lose oil either.

Dont start it anymore till you pull the clutch cover. The Suzuki dealer should have performed the recall work for you!

I'm not sure why but I'm not receiving any updates on this thread.

I appreciate all you guys help. I am about to go pull the baby apart and see if you are all right.

I have seen it twice on Gen 2's myself, if you run it much longer it will sometimes crack the cover!
I'm not sure why but I'm not receiving any updates on this thread.

I appreciate all you guys help. I am about to go pull the baby apart and see if you are all right.

I'd crack a cover alright ....... I'd pull that baby to the closest zuki dealer and let them do the clutch bolt recall, by the way make sure the rectifier recall is done and the ignition switch wiring route recall is done. :poke:

I'd crack a cover alright ....... I'd pull that baby to the closest zuki dealer and let them do the clutch bolt recall, by the way make sure the rectifier recall is done and the ignition switch wiring route recall is done. :poke:

The dealer can run the vin# too and check to see if any of the recalls have been done.
At one time Suzuki was center punching a dot on the steering neck of the frame next to the vin, indicating that a recall had been done.
Kinda strange and low tech, but I guess it was just a mark to give future owners or dealers a heads up.

I have had the rectifier taken care of back in 2010 or so when I got a letter about the recall. I don't know about the ignition switch wiring.

I pulled it apart about 30 minutes ago. Turns out 4 of the 6 bolts were lose. Two of the four bolts were rubbing according to my observations. I put lock tite on all 6 of them, one at a time. It fixed it.

I took a few pictures of what I could while I had it apart. If any of you can tell me anything about the condition of the internals according to what is visible in the pictures I would really appreciate it.

IMG_8464_zps7e634e63.jpg

IMG_8465_zps6adb7213.jpg

IMG_8467_zpsf668a9df.jpg

IMG_8468_zps714e3cd3.jpg

IMG_8469_zps2e577f03.jpg

Not alot to tell from those pics, but it looks normal.

Gen1 and 2 engines are really good though, they have no major issues other than some gen1's 2nd gear going out and needing the transmission undercut. Otherwise they're bulletproof.
Ride it like ya stole it.

Those rubbing for the time did not cause any problems, you caught it soon enough!

Glad it all worked out for you!

Back