odd noise in the rear wheel?

Blacksmith

Registered
Hey guys I've got an odd sound that sound like it's coming from INSIDE the center of the rear wheel. Up on the stand when I spin the wheel looking for the hard spot in my chain I noticed that is sounds like there's a small ball bouncing around inside the center of the wheel. I've never heard it before, could it have something to do with the kush drive? I've read about the kush but don't really know what it is

Rubber blocks under the sprocket carrier. Did you have the wheel off? If the sprocket carrier wants to fall out on it's own, the cush drive is probably worn out. You can also test it with the wheel on. Step 1 here: Rear Wheel Inspection, Gen 2 Hayabusa | Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself

If it's the cush drive, seems like it would have to be really worn out if it's flopping to and fro in there. Good guess. I hope that's it.

No everything is still on I haven't even loosened the axle to move the chain. There's no play in the wheel and the sprocket is tight all the way around. She makes a small pop when I'm accelerating which I've been told sounds like a tight chain but the specs are just right for the slack

Uhm update, there's something inside the tire bouncing around! I assumed it was in the center of the wheel from the sound but checking closer I can hear and feel it inside the tire itself. I swear it sounds like a rubber ball in there. The tires were just out on in Jan and have plenty of life in them

Uhm update, there's something inside the tire bouncing around! I assumed it was in the center of the wheel from the sound but checking closer I can hear and feel it inside the tire itself. I swear it sounds like a rubber ball in there. The tires were just out on in Jan and have plenty of life in them
Not out of the realm of possibilty...tire installer dropped something in there.Perhaps the old valve or something. That would drive me crazy. Re/re that tire ASAP. Might cost you 20 bucks to achieve victory. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Yeah I'm taking her to the local shop in the morning and have them pull the tire. He said he's seen odd pieces of rubber come off the inside of tires that seemed like they were left when they were pulled from the mold, some stay on forever and some come off after enough time or high speed runs.

You're making a wise choice. I'd be worried the tire might blow after it wore down.

One possibility I can think of is they changed the valve stem after the tire was installed. It is a rubber ball that keeps a rubber valve stem in. Maybe they snipped it and just left the ball fall inside the tire before putting the new one in.

When I was a kid working in gas stations I opened a tire on someone’s car that had a Pepsi bottle inside, yep, a glass 12oz Pepsi bottle. It was beat all to hell but wasn’t broken! Everyone’s best guess was that centrifugal force kept it ‘glued’ to the inner tire at speed. Why it hadn’t broken at slower speeds or over driveways etc was a mystery.

When I was a kid working in gas stations I opened a tire on someone’s car that had a Pepsi bottle inside, yep, a glass 12oz Pepsi bottle. It was beat all to hell but wasn’t broken! Everyone’s best guess was that centrifugal force kept it ‘glued’ to the inner tire at speed. Why it hadn’t broken at slower speeds or over driveways etc was a mystery.
They had cars when you were a kid?? :poke: :lol:

It was a wheel weight! It apparently fell inside while they're were changing and has been stuck to the inside of the tire. I was told I don't ride fast enough to keep it stuck to the tire so it fell off lol. The mechanic did pat the tire and slapped my shoulder saying "good riding no strips! Most of the 14's and busas around here never touch the edges of the tire I wonder if some of them ever turn." I am gonna need new chain and sprockets in the next couple months though if anybody has suggestions.

I am gonna need new chain and sprockets in the next couple months though if anybody has suggestions.
If you're concerned about weight loss, the EK Z3D is a little heavier than the EK ZZZ I just replaced it with. Almost everyone recommends ZVX3 for strength and I'll bet it's the same weight as the old ZZZ was. A vortex steel front is good on weight and the Vortex aluminum rear is probably about as light as you will find. Look for a Ti front sprocket if you're into weight loss.

It was a wheel weight! It apparently fell inside while they're were changing and has been stuck to the inside of the tire. I was told I don't ride fast enough to keep it stuck to the tire so it fell off lol. The mechanic did pat the tire and slapped my shoulder saying "good riding no strips! Most of the 14's and busas around here never touch the edges of the tire I wonder if some of them ever turn." I am gonna need new chain and sprockets in the next couple months though if anybody has suggestions.
Chain & sprockets...ah,buy new. :laugh: Lots of opinions there,don't mention oil or tires.
Check dealership floor and parking lot for missing pieces and parts before departing. :thumbsup: Mythos ^ had good suggestions.
Rubb.

Back