Octane Booster Questions.

Adox

Registered
I've never really thought of putting octane booster in my Busa, but an acquaintance of mine at work suggested it. I know it doesn't "add HP" to the engine, but I was wondering if anyone here has tried it or regularly uses an octane additive and if so, what is your opinion:

Does it affect anything performance wise?
Does it cause any problems? (I've heard of some additives rusting up tanks or causing combustion issues but they weren't from anyone I'd consider reliable sources of info.)
Why did you discontinue using it, or why do you continue using it?

Thanks!

octane retards ignition. If your bike isn't tuned to have advanced ignition timing or otherwise make use of that, you will actually lose power.

For some reason, people think octane = turbocharging. It hampers ignition, which prevents predetonation. Useful for high compression or turbocharged vehicles, otherwise useless.

I would only use the gas octane its supposed to have. if want to add something put some seafoam or wynns power charge in it on occasionto help keep it clean.

Didn't power block TV do a side by side comparison on a dyno showing no improvement in octane or performance, sometimes the opposite.

As mentioned above higher octane does not equal performance. So if you are not pinging why put it in.

Unless you are running super high compression engines, it doesn't make a difference positively. Thats how busas with C16 race fuel (high octane) can use such high boost in them (when built properly)

Otherwise, just don't.

Best

-D

My stock 04' Busa felt quite a bit different when I ran some race fuel through it. It was very peppy and the exhaust smelled great.

I have some snake oil for sale, $12 QT.. Good for all that ails you and increases HP in internal combustion engines. :whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: Zee
Having run a higher compression iron head small ford back in the day. I have never found an bottled additive that allowed me to run more timing or reduced detonation on low octane fuel and none of the additives added any power,, ever.

Ditto on the wynns,, I pour a can of it in my bike once a season. I also like the extra power while its in the tank too.

I would only use the gas octane its supposed to have. if want to add something put some seafoam or wynns power charge in it on occasionto help keep it clean.

Ditto on the wynns,, I pour a can of it in my bike once a season. I also like the extra power while its in the tank too.

Thanks guys! I'll just stick with premium gas and get a Rotrex S.C. on the miracle I can afford one someday.

Last edited:
After reading quite a bit of discussion on the Org regarding octane, I started using 87 in my '07 and it runs perfectly. I think the gen 1 engines come fairly mildly tuned.

Back