O-ring or Non O-ring chain...???

FLY-N-PUMPKIN

Registered
Should I go with a O-ring chain or a Non O-ring chain?
Does it really matter?
Is one better than the other?
What are the pros and cons?

THANKS!!

O Ring chains keep the lube in longer and the dirt out...if ya like to clean and lube your chain every time ya ride it...go with the non O ring one
wink.gif

I can’t think of a good reason to use a non o-ring chain on a street bike.

One advantage of a non o-ring is a slightly less horsepower loss. This is due to the friction loss with the o-rings and weight. Some say the non o-ring has a higher strength as well. However, the strongest 530 chain I know if is the EK DRZ2 11,500 lbs tensile strength. The EK ZZZ o-ring has an 11,000 which (I believe) is more than all of the other non o-ring. The better o-ring chains are actually an x-ring design which has less loss due to the friction of the sealing rings. The ZZZ is also slightly lighter than some others o-ring.

The only real advantage the non o-ring chain has is cost. Chain maintenance will make that about even in a short time.

Unless the cost is a big factor, I feel the EK ZZZ is the best chain going for the Busa.

+1 ZZX "X" ring 11,000 lb tensile strength chain. Get the absolute best chain you can afford. When it breaks it takes a LOT of stuff out!

I have run both..the 11000 lb non o'ring stretches at 3 time the rate of the o'ring chain PIA to keep adjusting and lubed. I would go with the o'ring anyday. I bought the non-o'ring for my extended arm, and after about 1500 street miles on it has stretched to the point being worn out.....I bet I didn't adjust the o'ring chain 4 times is 4000 miles.

Back