NZ's Brass Monkey Rally 2018

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Wow, you think it's cold, nah.. have a look at what these guys and gals do for fun!
And they religiously go there EVERY year.
I've been 6 times, that's enough for me. It ain't that much fun and there is actually guys that go around later in the night with big sticks, prodding bodies that have dropped and fallen unconscious under the spell of excessive alcohol, just to be sure they are still alive.
I sh%t you not!!
https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/ne...ost-enough-to-freeze-balls-off-a-brass-monkey

I just checked on a local weather station down there at the rally area, have a look at this..
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/nz/ranfurly

Not me this year, but ive had texts from mates yest saying about freezing fog then clear as and sunny then back to fog and freezing. :crazy: They normally wont let people out of the gates till the roads are ok (?)
Yeah, but I left the '13 Brass early, 7.45am, just before they stopped people leaving due to 130kmh westerlies. I was on my KTM 990 Adv and went over the Dansie's pass, now THAT was challenging. . . and I was by myself (foolish actually looking back on it).
I'm hoping nobody comes to grief on the way home over the Pig Root.

Yeah, but I left the '13 Brass early, 7.45am, just before they stopped people leaving due to 130kmh westerlies. I was on my KTM 990 Adv and went over the Dansie's pass, now THAT was challenging. . . and I was by myself (foolish actually looking back on it).
I'm hoping nobody comes to grief on the way home over the Pig Root.
HI. I love camping too. I have camped in I think for you guys I think it was -42 deg. It was -14 for us in the USA. I was not on my bike at that time.

HI. I love camping too. I have camped in I think for you guys I think it was -42 deg. It was -14 for us in the USA. I was not on my bike at that time.
Haha, -42 deg? no, -14deg F is -25deg C, still extremely cold in anyone's experience!
It never gets that cold here in NZ due to being a temperate climate, a narrow island in the Pacific.
You're brave camping in those temps Michael, frostbite comes to mind!

Back