NYC Marathon 2020 - Childrens Cancer Fundraising

SSGT_B

Registered
About Christy:

It all started in Sept 2015 when we thought she had a horrendous case of food poisoning. After 2 days of watching her fall sicker and sicker, she ended up in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. Fine, no big deal. However, after she left the hospital, she was still having pain in her belly. We took her in for CT scans, blood work, fluids, anything to help. A month later it was discovered that the Dr’s left behind some of the appendix and needed to go back in. More surgery, more time in the hospital, more antibiotics. Yet, she came out again sicker than before. She was told she may have Chrohn’s disease until that was ruled out. She was told she may have Celiac disease until that was ruled out. All the while she could not maintain a normal diet or function like you or I. This was only the beginning. Now the Dr THINKS having her Gall Bladder out is the answer. It is a 50/50 shot but she is so sick that anything is worth a try. So here we go. Finally, some of the pain in her upper abdomen is gone but not all the problems have been solved. Yet another visit to the ER and all of a sudden, she is being quarantined. Come to find out she has C. Diff. Over the next 9 months, she would battle 4 rounds of C. Diff. She was going to bathroom 22+ times a day yet could not eat or drink anything. How is that even possible? I was watching my wife wither away. Her kids could not hug her because it hurt too much and that broke her heart. She could not walk because it was so painful and she was too weak. She was no longer herself. I was watching my wife die for the last year. Finally, in November 2017, she was offered a minor transplant that saved her life. It would take about 6 months for her to find her new “normal” but in this time I began to see her transform into something NONE of us expected.

We bought her a treadmill to help her build up her immune system. The goal was to just walk for an hour a day in the morning. Easy enough! She was determined to get better and stronger. 1 lap around the block became 2, then a mile, then 3. Did first 5k which also inspired your son who has cerebral palsy, autism and about 12 other challenges to go run with her.

Fast forward to now, she is running her 1st marathon in honor of her father who passed away from cancer, and my father who recently passed away. She is running for the children suffering from this horrible disease . She will be raising money for Freds Team for children's cancer. All donations go directly to them, not through us. If anyone would like to donate I have a link attached that tells more about what and who they are. Please take a few min just to read it. Thank you all for reading my long post.

About Christy:

It all started in Sept 2015 when we thought she had a horrendous case of food poisoning. After 2 days of watching her fall sicker and sicker, she ended up in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. Fine, no big deal. However, after she left the hospital, she was still having pain in her belly. We took her in for CT scans, blood work, fluids, anything to help. A month later it was discovered that the Dr’s left behind some of the appendix and needed to go back in. More surgery, more time in the hospital, more antibiotics. Yet, she came out again sicker than before. She was told she may have Chrohn’s disease until that was ruled out. She was told she may have Celiac disease until that was ruled out. All the while she could not maintain a normal diet or function like you or I. This was only the beginning. Now the Dr THINKS having her Gall Bladder out is the answer. It is a 50/50 shot but she is so sick that anything is worth a try. So here we go. Finally, some of the pain in her upper abdomen is gone but not all the problems have been solved. Yet another visit to the ER and all of a sudden, she is being quarantined. Come to find out she has C. Diff. Over the next 9 months, she would battle 4 rounds of C. Diff. She was going to bathroom 22+ times a day yet could not eat or drink anything. How is that even possible? I was watching my wife wither away. Her kids could not hug her because it hurt too much and that broke her heart. She could not walk because it was so painful and she was too weak. She was no longer herself. I was watching my wife die for the last year. Finally, in November 2017, she was offered a minor transplant that saved her life. It would take about 6 months for her to find her new “normal” but in this time I began to see her transform into something NONE of us expected.

We bought her a treadmill to help her build up her immune system. The goal was to just walk for an hour a day in the morning. Easy enough! She was determined to get better and stronger. 1 lap around the block became 2, then a mile, then 3. Did first 5k which also inspired your son who has cerebral palsy, autism and about 12 other challenges to go run with her.

Fast forward to now, she is running her 1st marathon in honor of her father who passed away from cancer, and my father who recently passed away. She is running for the children suffering from this horrible disease . She will be raising money for Freds Team for children's cancer. All donations go directly to them, not through us. If anyone would like to donate I have a link attached that tells more about what and who they are. Please take a few min just to read it. Thank you all for reading my long post.

That is an amzing and at the same time heartbraking story. I am so glad that she feels better and wish her all the best on the marathon. Keep us updated how this goes and give her a big hug from your "other" family!

Christy does have a Facebook page just for this, to track her training and running whatnots for those who are interested.

Side note, I got her a percussion massager ( yes I know where your mind is going ) lol )) to help with muscle recovery and overall pain relief. Those things are amazing. It’s called a hyper volt.

Bringing this up for 2020. Thank you all who have taken the time to read this and a thank you to all who have been able to support this journey.

Christy just ran the Houston Chevron 5K yesterday and is back at it today running the Houston Chevron 1/2 Marathon. It’s awesome to see her passion in this sport especially while training for this upcoming marathon. Thank you for all who have donated and are helping to support the research to cure cancer and who are following her journey.

Christy just ran the Houston Chevron 5K yesterday and is back at it today running the Houston Chevron 1/2 Marathon. It’s awesome to see her passion in this sport especially while training for this upcoming marathon. Thank you for all who have donated and are helping to support the research to cure cancer and who are following her journey.
Very happy to hear. Say hi to her and that she can be very proud of herself. Too bad this topic does not get more attention!
She definitely deserves Pie today!! :-)

5A4AC4F4-B38D-447A-A3E9-5AF90D73589F.jpeg

5D27BD81-3650-4A5A-A7B5-C9C6351EBE98.jpeg

Running races and training continue. She just completed a 10mile race in College Station. Now that the big ones are done it’s time to dial deeper into marathon training. For those who would like to follow her journey and keep to date with fundraising progress, she has a Facebook page called Miles of Gratitude. Here is a link to that page and feel free to share it if you would like.

Thank you all.
Jerry

Haven’t updated in a while, she is still out running almost every day. Today however it’s raining but she got up at 4am and did her workout on the peloton and now is combing free weights. I told her take a day off, she replied with cancer doesn’t so she won’t. I can respect that. Thanks to all who are following her journey

Haven’t updated in a while, she is still out running almost every day. Today however it’s raining but she got up at 4am and did her workout on the peloton and now is combing free weights. I told her take a day off, she replied with cancer doesn’t so she won’t. I can respect that. Thanks to all who are following her journey
She's definitely an inspiration...

Bumping this back up. Although the marathon was canceled for 2020 we are still fundraising for cancer. We are almost at our goal and have till the 11th to complete. Here is my wife’s latest post. Thank you for all the donations received already and thank you for any that may come.

So, I just got an email message from FredsTeam. org “We wanted to let you know that your 2020 fundraising page will be closing on Monday, January 11. After this date, your supporters will not be able to make a donation directly to your page. Now is a great time to follow up with anyone who would like to support your fundraising efforts before the end of the season.

At this time, we do not have any updates from NYRR about the timing of their Future Marathon Selection Process, but we will let you know as soon as we know more! Once this process is completed and NYRR informs us of the year of your future race, we will work to re-register you with Fred’s Team and transfer your 2020 fundraising total over to a new fundraising page for the year of your new race so that you can continue fundraising.”

Therefore, anyone who would be open-minded to making a donation to my fundraiser before the January 11, 2021 deadline, in order to help me reach my fundraising “finish line”, please do not hesitate. I have less than $1,000 to reach my goal! It would be so amazing to be able to have this in the bag to start 2021 off.

COVID may have put this race on pause but I promise you that when NYC Marathon is back on, I will be there. This dream WILL become a reality! No matter how many times I have to train “just in case”. I will not give up. For those pediatric cancer patients, to celebrate my Dad’s memory, to run in honor of everyone I know who has fought this horrible battle...I will be there!

You, your family, your friends, and your co-workers can provide your generous donations at the link here: Imagine a World Without Cancer

Thank you in advance for helping making a positive impact on so many lives. Thank you for helping ME make a dream come true! I appreciate you.

#FredsTeam
#mskkids
#CANCERSUCKS
#pleasedonateifyoucan

Back