Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Anyone else get theirs yet?

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Can't wait to try this thing out. I have ridden with the old sportvue units (MC1 & MC2). I am very excited to see how much better this one is and whether or not it lives up to the hype!!!

Hey MC, can't wait to see a write up from a "real" user. I've seen the ads and looked at the website and it looks good. I have a Sena that I rarely use the camera on but wanted to have the option without having to mount something else (ie, GoPro). The only thing I wish I had is the heads up navigation. As much as I love to ride (or take a drive sometimes) the possibility of getting "lost" almost paralyzes me so GPS was a God-send for me. I have used my phone in a tank bag on my Busa and considered a stem mount for my phone. It's not ideal, but it gets me where I need to go. Anyway, please post your opinions.

Update and ride report today... weather has been a bit sketchy!

Wonder if we can hack Shawn's HUD and feed it old images of Bashers riding the big rooster in Robbinsville? And yes, boring day at work........

Well, here is a short note about it. For context, understand that I used to run the SportVue units; I liked them, but it was like a big banana stuck to your helmet. It was in your peripheral view, but it blocked vision as it was a closed unit. The SportVue displayed speed, tac and gear (based on programmed wheel size, learned shift patterns and an ECU tap).

The Nuviz unit is in a word: fantastic. That said, here are a few pluses and minuses:

Plus:
Truly peripheral and is not distracting.
Switches easily between modes/functions with thumb switch.
Rides can be programmed for routes from cell phone.
GPS is embedded in Nuviz, similar to Apple maps with moving map and voice directions.
Can be Bluetooth paired with headsets (such as SENA, etc.).
Camera for stills and video (lens is adjustable).

Minus:
Must be used with phone app for full functionality.
When paired with a Bluetooth headset, your phone must be paired to the unit, so you lose some functions of the headset.
Does not display fuel, even a programmed range like the Zumo's have would be awesome.
Thumbswitch is another switch to add to your handlebars.
Nuviz unit attaches to the side of your helmet near the front, so the weight/drag is noticeable.

More later.

Hey Shawn got any more thoughts on the NUVIZ?
Yes sir -
So, I rode with the Nuviz in the moutains, making a few passes on the Dragon, Skyway, etc... (Charlie said he thinks I killed a robot to build my helmet). Here are my thoughts from there:

Speed can be an issue. There are couple of straight aways that you can twist the throttle in and I noticed that big time... the weight on my helmet was noticeable and wind drag pulled my head a bit... but I will say that there is no danger of that in normal highway speed ranges.

I found that the best place to mount my controller is on the left handlebar over the switch housing. With the mounting adapters that come with the NUVIZ, the controller sort of "floats" over the high/low beam switch. There is enough room for my thumb to press the switch for high beams, but the controller is close enough to easily be reached with my thumb for the push buttons. The toggle to flip through functions requires me to lift off the bar.

Photos are good, video is awesome. If you are connected with another rider via coms, the coms will come through with the video. I had music playing when I took a video of my wife riding the dragon, but it messed up the coms, so I shut it off. When watching the video, I noticed that the music did not come through at all; she and I talk through her ride came through very clearly. It seems that the NUVIZ can do two things at a time very well, but a third thing bogs everything down.

The camera is adjustable for aiming, left, right, up, down... so if you are in picture mode, you can see the picture that you are taking, but in video mode, you cannot - so before video, you have to know where the camera is pointed; I had adjusted mine for sitting up and taking pics at slow speed, not for riding position - so in the video that I took for my wife, there are some great views of my dash...

Phone calls are very clear. So is comm and so is music. There is a delay switching music, not sure why, but it is not unbearable...

The GPS works very well, especially when using a route, however, the route (destination and starting point have to be input using your phone app - so for turn by turn, you have to use the app. I found it interesting that I would receive an audible alarm if the posted speed limit was exceeded...

The function of the NUVIZ and the functions of the SENA unit cancel each other out a bit... but now that SENA and NUVIZ are partnering, I suspect that will improve quickly.

All in all, I recommend the unit for anyone who is a tech person... but first, suspension, brakes, etc... NUVIZ is proud of the HUD and I am not sure how long it will be before the price starts dropping.

Lastly, they have started selling accessories on the NUVIZ website now - additional mounts and batteries are available.

awesome looks very kool. too bad on the SENA compatibility. that wud ruin it for me. there does seem to be some visible wind noise. not sure how id feel about that but great review thanx be nice if the unit was a little smaller

Thanks Shawn! Sounds like a very cool toy. I have been looking at replacing my Garmin and the new one is very cool. I can get nav, traffic, xm, tire pressure monitoring and rear view cameras for it. Trying to figure out where to go. You review was helpful though. I will have to look more at the NuViz!

Back