Nursing Homes

Yeah it's a real mess. We had 4 senior living facilities on the boards for Richmond and the investors all pulled out. One of the guys said they weren't sure they could even get liability insurance now. It's a shame because this is an essential service. It's hard enough to get people to give up their freedom to live in these places but now it's going to be a mess.

I personally think all nursing homes should be government run and this way there is no profit to be made. A company here in Canada who owns a chain of nursing homes netted a profit of $180 million last year. This tells me they cut corners to save a buck.

I personally think all nursing homes should be government run and this way there is no profit to be made. A company here in Canada who owns a chain of nursing homes netted a profit of $180 million last year. This tells me they cut corners to save a buck.
I'm not sure about that the way the VA was run here for decades.

I'm not sure about that the way the VA was run here for decades.
Good, solid oversight is the key to the government running these homes...the setting of high standards would be paramount. Nursing homes should be run like hospitals..in the 'States this means an entirely different thing than here in Canada where we have public health care.

You can learn a lot about what's important to a society by seeing where it allocates resources. In the US old people, sick people, poor people, and veterans are not important. Politicians on both sides of the aisle talk about these groups as important, but when budgets are finalized the money doesn't make it to any of those groups in any meaningful amount. If a person belongs to more than one of those groups, the problem is compounded.

You can learn a lot about what's important to a society by seeing where it allocates resources. In the US old people, sick people, poor people, and veterans are not important. Politicians on both sides of the aisle talk about these groups as important, but when budgets are finalized the money doesn't make it to any of those groups in any meaningful amount. If a person belongs to more than one of those groups, the problem is compounded.
True...the "disposable society" of people who spent all their lives supporting their country only to be thrown away.

It comes down to the country's,belief system/culture/dispersal of available funds,etc.
As we all know there are many ways in which societies around the world deal with the human beings in their care.Elderly,children,mental/physically challenged...all need care.
The bottom line______ somebody has to pay the bill.
For now the world revolves around cash.
Rubb.

I saw that. I’m afraid I’d kill that SOB if given the opportunity.
Beautiful sentiment Wuzz...but I'm sure you would have to take a number and get in-line. I think I know what you would do there thou...just buy the first place ticket holders number...you got a way 'round everything. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Old people are dying more from Covid due to their incredibly low levels of Vitamin D. Poor old guys never see the sun for years or decades. So if ya got a old one in your life you care about start stuffing them full of Vitamin D. Might just save their lives in the long run. 2000iu of Vitamin D per 100 pounds bodyweight daily.

The last thing we need is more "government" run anything. They are a bunch of fckin retards period. What we need is for family to take care of family! Not pawn our loved ones off to subpar living facilities which do not care at all. When our elders become our children, why cant we return the favor. Do you realize these facilities steal all of their patients ss and everything they own? Most r given 3 meals a day of sht and if they are lucky 50 dollars for the whole month for any items they desire.

Dont get me started on those sht holes. My wife unfortunately has worked for dozens of them in the multiple states, and they all are the same. State facilities are by far worse. I do not believe in suicide, but i can tell you, i will end my own life if ever that is my destination.

The last thing we need is more "government" run anything. They are a bunch of fckin retards period. What we need is for family to take care of family! Not pawn our loved ones off to subpar living facilities which do not care at all. When our elders become our children, why cant we return the favor. Do you realize these facilities steal all of their patients ss and everything they own? Most r given 3 meals a day of sht and if they are lucky 50 dollars for the whole month for any items they desire.

Dont get me started on those sht holes. My wife unfortunately has worked for dozens of them in the multiple states, and they all are the same. State facilities are by far worse. I do not believe in suicide, but i can tell you, i will end my own life if ever that is my destination.

The US and Canada is apples and oranges...government run facilities would work better here. Privately funded facilities are reliant on profit margins. I sometimes thought having the senior care facilities be part of the hospital system would be a good idea...

Most countries don't have senior care living facilities and families take care of their own...their seniors are dying in the hundreds if not thousands as a result...

A company here in Canada who owns a chain of nursing homes netted a profit of $180 million last year. This tells me they cut corners to save a buck.
They hire people like this dirtbag and then they don't put enough people on a shift to handle the workload. I figured it saved them about $2000/day even on our low wages. I'm sure there are a lot bigger corners they cut. Some of the CNAs I worked with were really good. I never saw any abuse.

Certainly it [cameras] wouldn't hurt.
I would be happy to have that if I end up in a nursing home. Like somebody said, it's against HIPAA regulations. I'm sure a resident can't even have a recording device.

Back