Numb Hands

pmcc

Registered
Anyone have the same problem as me? I feel a bit silly to ask this....

On decent length rides, I find that my hands become quite numb. Does anyone have any technique to prevent numbness?

I think it might be to my leaning in on the arms too much, or holding on to the grips an extra bit too tight. I am trying to remind myself while riding to chill out and relax a bit....slowly but surely.

So any solution guys?

I have the same problem. For me it's not holding the grips to tight. I support my weight with my arms. Try to sit up a little more and shake out your arms once and a while.

Go with the bar risers, Heli or GenMar. Also, try gel padded gloves, they take out the vibration from the grips.

Stealth
coffeecup.gif

Ok a couple of suggestions:
1) Grip the handlebars firmly but not to tight
2) Don't put the weight on your wrist when you lean over
3) You can order foam grips that will absorb some of the vibration from the bars. or you can go to home depot and but the foam and slip it over your current grips(saves money and allows you to slip them on and off)

ok that my $.03 worth

BUSA HAS BAD VIBRATION BETWEEN 4000 AND 5000 RPM
READ SOMEWHERE THAT IT WAS LIKE A BORED OUT 1100.DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT BUT YOU COULD SPEED UP OR SLOW DOWN OR RUN A LOWER GEAR
MAYBE CHANGE SPROCKETS,WILL CHANGE SPEEDO THO.

Been there done this! Nothing I've tried has eliminated this condition entirely. Stopping every know and then seems to be the best medicine. I've tried Gen-mar, Helibar, padded gloves, wrist supports, & a host of other sure fire fixes that never came through. Must be getting older, dread thought!

Ride more...And lean on the tank to take a bit of pressure off the hands and arms...
muscle.gif

What I have found most often is that my hands are not in line with the grips. I.E. I am putting more weight on the outer part of my palm, this angle "feels" more natural. But, when the natural bend of your hands are inline with the grips this eliminates the numbness. For me anyhow. Also try to keep your elbows tucked in a little. It is a little awkward at first, but it keeps your body more in line reducing stress on the wrists. I also use the ProGrip gells.

Just my .02

Steve

I think what your feeling is a high frequency vibration both from the motor (which I dont believe has rubber motor mounts) and the chain vibration from traveling around the sprockets. If the vibration is very bad check your chain. How many miles do you have on it? Have you kept it lubed well and taken care of it. Try cleaning it and relubeing it to see if some of the vibration will go away. I dont know of anyone that has gotten rid of all of the vibration, but this may help. I cant think of a sportbike my hands didnt fall asleep on after a while.

Vibration can definitely be eliminated...I only have 19000 km (12000 miles) on it, just bee for service, chain etc are all in good working order.

I know for a fact it is my riding position. I had a Ducati Monster prior to the Busa and the riding position on that is much more upright. Prior to my Monster i had a 400cc Honda Fireblade, which is a lower riding position, but never really went on very long rides.

I have naturally carried out by myself along the way most of your suggestions, haven't seen any Heli gips out here in Singapore, but I'll keep looking. Might be worth a shot.

I reckon it's more due to leaning in too hard, but again when i back off, there goes the small of the back....the woes of riding such a brilliant bike. I'll get used to it, like you said, RIDE MORE...after all, what else are we supposed to do??? Right?

It is a compilation of riding for an extended period of time, bike vibration and sitting position that leads to this problem. What you are descibing is clinically called carpal tunnel syndrome. There is a nerve that runs through the middle of your wrist called the median nerve. If it is compressed by a fracture, swelling of adjacent tendons or placed in an compressed condition (riding), It will give a sensation of pain and/or numbness-tingling. Most clerical workers suffer from this condition at times thoughout their career. I read some other post under this thread which have offered excellent techniques to avoid this problem. The gel pads, handlebar grips and alternating sitting postion are great options. Sometimes anti-inflammatory medications, braces or vitamin B6 suppplementation might help, even cortisone injections. With recalcitrant cases surgical release might be necessary. It does not appear you need the latter at this point.

It is  a compilation of riding for an extended period of time, bike vibration and sitting position that leads to this problem. What you are descibing is clinically called carpal tunnel syndrome.  There is a nerve that runs through the middle of your wrist called the median nerve. If it is compressed by a fracture, swelling of adjacent tendons or placed in an compressed condition (riding), It will give a sensation of pain and/or numbness-tingling. Most clerical workers suffer from this condition at times thoughout their career. I read some other post under this thread which have offered excellent techniques to avoid this problem. The gel pads, handlebar grips and alternating sitting postion are great options. Sometimes anti-inflammatory medications, braces or vitamin B6 suppplementation might help, even cortisone injections. With recalcitrant cases surgical release might be necessary. It does not appear you need the latter at this point.
THE DOCTOR IS IN.
laugh.gif
Just kinning good info.

That's alright man. I expected to get jabbed a bit. I am a physician and treat this condition on a regular basis

It's easy to get lazy and ride with your hands bent backwards which causes my numbness.  I have to move my hands so they're not bent backwards.  Also, if I lean too much on the muscle between my thumb and forefinger I get a stabbing pain in my left hand in that muscle, a reminder to position my hands differently.  I have ridden 3 hours to Vegas with no problems.  Lean on one hand for a little while, then the other, squeezing the tank with my knees and pushing down for a while helps take some pressure off my hands and doesn't bother my lower back.

Doc RC, what is the name of that muscle between the thumb and forefinger?

Just change your riding still back and forth. Up right and then lean in . the weight you are placing on the bars indicates you are just riding with extreme pressure for too long.

Hey RC I hate to ask for some free medical advice(No I dont) but what are the symptoms. My hands fall asleep at night while I sleep and I get pain in my hand when I drive or type etc have to shake my arm to get it back awake. Should I see my doctor? I assumed it was just fatigue from keeping my hand in the same position for too long.

Back