Now your first amendment is now a felony!!

As much as I can't stand Westboro, it's a necessary evil in order to protect the free speech rights of all. Does this also mean Code Red would be prosecuted? When will we hear from the ACLU?

This will be challenged pretty quickly, and SCOTUS will strike it. Unfortunately, it wil have to be tried first...

you realize that this is a year old, right?
Are you saying that this has been struck down in the past year ??? You don't care about your constitutional rights ??? This isn't a democrat / republican issue. Both parties were involved in this.

I don't honestly know myself...looking back and forth between the two version it doesn't seem like its been changed much, but I'm not a lawyer, so I'm no expert. On the practical side of things, I haven't seen any real changes to demonstrations this year as to opposed to how they were policed and conducted before this bill went into effect, so I'm not sure what the difference is in practical terms. Either way, if it hasn't been struck down in a year, its not likely to be struck down.

From what I researched, it looked like it passed congress with a veto-proof majority, so though it could have been vetoed by the president, it would have been passed either way...not sure how I feel about that, I can see both good and bad scenarios for a "veto-proof" legislation.

Not necessarily. If it hasn't been enforced ........ someone arrested under the law, then it would not have been appealed and eventually gone to the Supreme Court, which probably takes over a year anyway. At least that's my limited understanding.

Anyway there's a reason i don't watch news :laugh: information broadcast :whistle:

after i read the bill and its wording. i am not sure how "free speech" is applied here. as this bill more deals with interfering with government business or official function in a disorderly conduct manner. again. that is subjective but its not what i thought they portrayed it to be

Unfortunately, Fox news has turned into an entertainment program rather than unbiased news reporting that it used to provide a few years back. These days they tend to twist things to get the sensationalism factor. That report initially got my attention as well but after researching the bill, it was just Fox news up to their ol' tricks.

Back