Now, THIS is what I call a Commander in Chief!

Among the prominent political figures whose opponents have accused them of improperly avoiding the Vietnam-era draft were George W. Bush, **** Cheney, and Bill Clinton.

During the 1968–1974 period, Presidents Johnson and Nixon decided against calling up National Guard units for service in Vietnam. As a result, National Guard service was widely portrayed as a way to avoid combat. The waiting list for the Guard at that time was extremely long, and there have been charges that young men from influential families were improperly moved to the top of the list.

A retired politician admitted that he had intervened 31 years ago to help Mr Bush avoid going to Vietnam.
In a written statement under oath, Ben Barnes, a former speaker of the Texas state legislature, said that in 1968 he asked the head of the Texan Air National Guard, General James Rose, to give the young Mr Bush a place on a pilot-training program, automatically excusing him from the draft.

Records published in the US press show that Mr Bush won a pilot's slot in the National Guard in front of thousands of others, despite scoring only 25% in his aptitude test: the lowest acceptable grade. He was sworn in on the day he applied.

Quack Quack.

Well said :thumbsup:

Whether or not Bush saw combat doesn't matter. He still served his country.
Others fled to other countries and protested America.

I don't follow politics enough to voice an opinion for Bush or Obama, but I can say while Bush was in office I was laid off 3 times now under Obama I have the best and highest paying job I have ever had.
Anything else I have to say about the 2 men are just opinions so I will keep my mouth shut.

Whether or not Bush saw combat doesn't matter. He still served his country.
Others fled to other countries and protested America.

Joining the National Guard is not serving your country if you got in by political favors in an effort to avoid being drafted.

Fleeing to other countries, faking disabilities or joining to the Guard and avoiding combat are all forms of draft dodging.

Only because Bush is and was in the public spotlight makes what he did look different. He's not the only one who did that and I'm sure 1000s have done the same. I do consider the Natl guard serving your country whether or not being there kept him out of combat.

There are a lot of people who served in the Reserve Components during that period that might take affront to that statement. With the benefit of hindsight, it could be interpreted that way, but who knew at the time whether or not Johnson/Nixon were going to use that policy. Still, he's the only President in modern times (since JFK) to actually WEAR the uniform, and take the Oath.

Kev, you have a lot to learn.

Edit: Almost forgot, so did his dad.

Bush senior is/was a true American hero.

georgebush-barbaraiii.jpg

There are a lot of people who served in the Reserve Components during that period that might take affront to that statement. With the benefit of hindsight, it could be interpreted that way, but who knew at the time whether or not Johnson/Nixon were going to use that policy. Still, he's the only President in modern times (since JFK) to actually WEAR the uniform, and take the Oath.

Kev, you have a lot to learn.

Edit: Almost forgot, so did his dad.

No one ever said all Guardsmen were draft dodgers, so the only people who should take offense to that are people who actually used the system in that way. I know people who joined the Navy and Air Force to avoid being drafted.

Sorry but wearing a uniform doesn’t make you more or less of a president or man.

I don't follow politics enough to voice an opinion for Bush or Obama, but I can say while Bush was in office I was laid off 3 times now under Obama I have the best and highest paying job I have ever had.
Anything else I have to say about the 2 men are just opinions so I will keep my mouth shut.

May I ask what you do for a living?

I know one thing, Kevin is one heck of a welder/metal fabricator; he's making those really nice backrests and he certainly has a talent for it.

Only because Bush is and was in the public spotlight makes what he did look different. He's not the only one who did that and I'm sure 1000s have done the same. I do consider the Natl guard serving your country whether or not being there kept him out of combat.
Of course you do Blanca...but I'd bet good money that if it was OBAMA who'd avoided active duty by doing the same thing you'd be singing a different tune.

:stirpot: Chaney hunts people on his ranch.:whistle: his black vans grab the homeless off the streets of Casper.
i still can't believe The Penguin was VP!

Back