Now this is art....

Interesting. I'm struggling to process how someone who doesn't paint, or photograph can call themselves an artist. It seems this "artist" is more "model".

That's pretty wicked. He could pass his work off as paranormal photos for someone that doesn't know his work.

Wow, that is pretty cool. He could probably find a backup job as a sniper if he wanted. :laugh:

is a Artistic Director an Artist????

That's one way to view it.

I'm struggling because if I took a self portrait, I'd still consider myself the artist (though no one would want to see the work).

On the other hand if I paid someone to come paint me and take a photo of me I wouldn't consider myself an artist...I'd consider myself a model and perhaps an artistic director.

Not discounting the work of this person, just trying to figure out how to define the role of the artist. This, for me, is more thought provoking than his work.

That's one way to view it.

I'm struggling because if I took a self portrait, I'd still consider myself the artist (though no one would want to see the work).

On the other hand if I paid someone to come paint me and take a photo of me I wouldn't consider myself an artist...I'd consider myself a model and perhaps an artistic director.

Not discounting the work of this person, just trying to figure out how to define the role of the artist. This, for me, is more thought provoking than his work.

I See your point.
But it is the "artist" that had the vision of the piece.
Like yourself.... being a photographer. the camera does the work..NOT you... but you are still an artist..
{like your pics:thumbsup:}

I See your point.
But it is the "artist" that had the vision of the piece.
Like yourself.... being a photographer. the camera does the work..NOT you... but you are still an artist..
{like your pics:thumbsup:}

Thanks for the :thumbsup: .

I agree vision is one of those items high on the list to qualify one as an artist.

If this artist were the one painting and photographing others in the scene he selected it would be much easier to identify him as an artist. When he subcontracts out all the work with the exception of location scouting to others, it seems more difficult. In essence, he uses his artistic vision to select the image he wants to achieve, then hires others to make it happen while he settles into the role of model.

If King Henry envisions a grand portrait of himself and commissions an artist to paint it, is King Henry an artist?

I admire the work done, but struggle with whom to credit for it...and how much credit to give each of the team members who worked to produce these images.

P.S. my camera does the work like a hammer and chisel do the work of a sculptor. While the camera has the ability to do 100% of the work of producing a finished photograph, as is the preference of the mass market, I only allow it to do the most basic function...capturing light I've made available for it...and doing so in the manner in which I dictate.

Back