Now running SLICKS

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
In preparation for Tuesdays trackday at Thunderhill, this morning I decided to INSTALL SLICKS, FRONT AND REAR. I've never ridden on slicks so this is gonna be fun! My racer friends talked me into it since my Busa has serious suspension and is pretty light (now 488 lbs).
The pics don't portray how BADBOY the motorcycle looks! That's not the reason I did this...I just think this experience will facilitate an even deeper relationship with my scooter, and take me to a level that I need to be at. I'm not a racer so I really don't know how to explain why this is so important to me. I'm getting my boat ready to take to the lake tomorrow, cleaning the house for a 4th of July party AND track prepping my Busa (that's multitasking!).

Anyways, pics below, notice the two front wheels...reminds me of Charles' store (StreetnTrack!)....also, the carbonfiber ft fender looks so right on with the slick! Doyle

P1020645.JPG

P1020647.JPG

P1020649.JPG

P1020650.JPG

P1020651.JPG

Looking good Doyle!:thumbsup:
Lets us know how they feel and provide lots 'o' pics for us.
Bubba

were there is a major step up... ought to be a blast to go out on slicks... what kind of warmers did you get?

now about that swingarm :laugh: is it back to stock length now?

Last edited:
I get a lot of flack for running the busa at track days... wish I could get some backup .. :laugh:

A friend of mine who races AFM told me that if I ever get a chance to ride a bike on the track with slicks on it, to go for it. He tells me it's a huge difference.

Doyle, do those have a beter grip than the PP race tires that you had mentioned or are they the same type of thing? Are the slicks the exact same as the superbikes use? I dont know much beyond the road tires.

Doyle, do those have a beter grip than the PP race tires that you had mentioned or are they the same type of thing? Are the slicks the exact same as the superbikes use? I dont know much beyond the road tires.

All I run are slicks on my 600RR. There is a big difference for me running slicks compared to Pilot Race. Have fun.

Well Raymond, my recent education on the transition to slicks is, once again, from the people that really know....the racers. I'm lucky to have a race shop near me that always has 3-4 guys standing around talking. I've gotten to know a few and they're great guys, willing to explain their experiences with different products AND things that have happened to them on the track, good and bad.
Anyways, the short answer is....the slicks are the pinnacle of high performance handling, the bike must be aggressive enough in suspension, etc. to take advantage of them. The PowerRace level tire is 5-10% less capable than slicks BUT 30-40% superior to top of the line street tires (CT-2's, Corsas, etc.) This only applies to the DRY RACE TRACK ENVIRONMENT.

This is the short answer? Doyle

Wish I was there, just so for away, :banghead:
Track days are what I need.
Bubba

You should have a ton of fun on your new slicks Doyle. They will last longer than DOT tires as well. What tire did you buy and what compound?

Enjoy your Thunder Hill adventure and be sure to share your experience with us when you return!

You should have a ton of fun on your new slicks Doyle. They will last longer than DOT tires as well. What tire did you buy and what compound?

Enjoy your Thunder Hill adventure and be sure to share your experience with us when you return!

Steven, I went with Michelin medium softs, I'll sure post up all about it on Wednesday! Doyle

Ok are you going to update this thread on how it went or the track day thread? Really want to hear how this went and how the bike (well you) did against the lighter track bikes with the increased bite... :poke::thumbsup:

Back