Now i know y so many of the northern members go down...

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
on cold tires (yer dirty minds was think'in sump'in else...wasn't they?) :rofl::poke:

anyways...i'm here on the treasure coast of southeast FL in port saint lucie and have ridden oren into work on...

Mon. 40degs

Tues. 43degs and?..

this morning?...

Wed. 34 freaking degrees....on I-95....at 6:55am...(i start at 7:00...and i'm NEVER late :whistle::laugh: ) but dang did that sting...my new jacket worked great and i was all warm and fuzzy except right at the neckline...felt like i was being slowly beheaded with a sword made of ice...and living in semi-tropical south florida i hate to say it but i think i need one of those belaclave?...ahh....fugit...one of those headsock hoodie under yer lid thingys.

cause 34 at 90 on 95 was...well?...."cutting my thin blooded azz up"

anys...the real point i wanted to make here?...was finally realizing what "COLD TIRES" truely are and how they act...as when i left work last night?...i did my usual rapid departure when leaving the drive and promptly suffered sudden massive wheelspin and crossed her up pretty good...and this morning?..for the 1st mile or two?...it felt like i was riding on greased hockey pucks..either that or Q2's really don't like the cold...so i now see and understand why we have so many cold tire go-downs up north.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

glad you kept it on the shiny side Bill :thumbsup:

Hoping you dont experience it again ... and a good reason mine stays in the garage this time of year :laugh:

i always wait about a couple of miles for the skins to warm up. you can tell when they are cold because the bike feels like they are on stilts. i tried the balaclava and didn't care for it so i opted for the "fleece neck warmer" instead and they work much better. you can get them much cheaper from a ski shop. i am guessing you don't have a local ski shop in your neck of the woods. :laugh:

Forgive me for being amused :thumbsup:. I lived most of my life in California and have only spent 15 years on the east coast (DC area). The first winter I spent here I couldn't get warm, seriously I felt old and cold constantly. I about froze my ding-ding off, figuratively :laugh: and I couldn't imagine how folks got used to such deeply cold temperatures (I believe the blood thickens…:whistle:). The first time I rode here during the winter was on my old shovelhead Harley and the first left hand intersection I rode through the front end washed out, fortunately I was only going 15 mph or so and was able to catch the slide flat-track style. What an eye opener though! Cold tires are no joke. I feel for you folks in otherwise sunny Florida and other southern states, this cold snap is a whole lotta no fun for bikee's. Hang tough till the sun re-emerges.
-Jim

Bill... I must say, it makes me smile to see you turkeys down south have to deal with a little cold weather...

My ride is sittin' on both stands in the shop... lookin' lonely and dusty! With temps consistently in the 20's and 30's, plus gravel on the road... that's where she's gonna stay.

Sad part is this don't only affect the Northern members. Out here in hot as heck Bakersfield (where summer temps hit 105+ for days on end) it is actually could out in the morning. It has been in the high 30's and low 40's in the morning. So cold tires are a big factor when riding to for for me. I only have 2 miles of city streets before I am on the freeway at speed.

As for body being cold, you can say the blood does thicken. I was born and raised in Minnesota for 18 years. So it may be cold here to most folks, it is still shorts and tee shirt weather to me.

Sweet William, you wus! :poke:

You have huge gonads to be out in 34 degree weather. I don't even open the garage door unless the temp hits 45 degrees.

I'm with MJN, happy to see you fellas in the Sunshine State getting a little taste of Global Warming :laugh:

I had the back end step out a couple of times but luckly it always came back. Cold tires are like ice. I just put new front and rear tires on the Busa so I wont even think about riding it unless in uper 40"s. New tires + cold roads = nothing good. If I want to ride I will take the Warrior. Well scrubed tires.

Bill... I must say, it makes me smile to see you turkeys down south have to deal with a little cold weather...

My ride is sittin' on both stands in the shop... lookin' lonely and dusty! With temps consistently in the 20's and 30's, plus gravel on the road... that's where she's gonna stay.

It's 37 here, getting ready for my second ride today. And yes, it's cold :laugh:

mine doesnt get started unless its 50 degrees, just not fun to ride any colder then that and I have been working outside for the last 21 yrs so Im used to the weather, its been in the 20's or lower the past few weeks and I have passed guys on I95, usually on Harleys in the morning.I dont know if they think that makes them look hard?? unless thats the only mode of transportation thats just stupid if you ask me........cold tires,cold asphalt,more focused with trying to keep warm.....no thanks,Im taking the truck.

Coldest we get is 60f in this part of the country and hottest is 100-110.
I have ridden in sleet before so i can sympathise but damn i like the weather in this part of the world.
Tyres are hot after 400 yards up the road, leathers get a bit warm but its all summer stuff so its well airated and fine as long as you are moving.

I am doing fine rodng in this weather just had to get a pair of cold weather gloves. All good now, make it to work no problem but the Busa is loving this cold air feels like after warms up in the morning its begging to run, an saying " Get your candy arrss an let's go for a real ride . :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Sweet William, you wus! :poke:

You have huge gonads to be out in 34 degree weather. I don't even open the garage door unless the temp hits 45 degrees.

I'm with MJN, happy to see you fellas in the Sunshine State getting a little taste of Global Warming :laugh:

tuf...1st?...sticks and stones baby...bring it on! :poke::rofl:

2ndly?..i don't have huge gonads...my fugg'in truck is broke down and $anta is still recovering.

lastly?...but i do have nuts and is why i don't ask my wife or oldest daughter to chaufer me back and forth to work. :whistle:

outside of that?..it was freaking 37degs out this fine south fl morning...as i actually struggled to be "The Boy In The Bubble" :laugh:

L8R, Bill. and i'm definantly... :cool:

Last edited:
Back