Now I know why people hire Mexicans

ditchdr

Registered
Ok so I started up a lawn care service a week or 2 ago. Things are going well, I am getting contracts left and right, and being asked to do extra stuff. So much that I had to sub out a leaf removal job. Or at least I tried.

Ok this back yard is maybe 40ft by 60 at the most, it has a mix of pine straw and oak leaves in it. I bid the leaf job for 60.00 or 2 hours labor, cause it should take no more then that to get it done. Heck I did one 3 times it size in 4 hours on Saturday.

First guy I asked to do it, was a friend of mine. I told him 50.00 dollars to rake up and bag just the back yard. And I am supplying the bags.. 4 hours into it he tells me he cant do it.. Mt first thought it wow 4 hours he must be out there with a pocket comb or something. So I go by there any maybe 1/3 of it is done.. Ok fine here is 17 dollars ( 1/3 of 50) but wait you owe me 10 for letting you use my mower and trimmer to mow your buddies yard that you got paid for.. so here is 7 bucks, have a nice day, now be gone before I drop a house on you..

Next guy, hes 20 years old, only works part time, and is not in school. He is into fixing up his little honda civic.. I called him he said he would do it. No problem be at my house by 8 and just take my truck over there. At 830 he calls me and says he got called into work.. Um yeah BS. he got 4 bags of leaves picked up. so I am gonna give him 10 bucks..

I learned a lesson today. America is the way it is due to people being lazy. I would have been out there doing the leaf job my self, but I had other jobs to get done. I thought i was doing a good thing by offering someone a job, be it a temp job, its still money, TAX FREE money at that.. So tomorrow while it is pouring down rain and since I have to move my Wednesday clients to Friday I will be out raking leaves.. It would have been easier to just hire one of them guys standing in front of Home Depot and be done with it.

Hard work is not something kids understand these days. When I was in high school I worked for a guy who built and serviced swimming pools. All spring break I would drain and acid wash pools. Hard work but I would make 300-400 bucks in 5 days. That was good. I worked almost every weekend in school and all through college. I never got told to do it I just did it because I wanted money. Kids just are not motivated like that, mine included.

Some people just have to babysit in order to get the job done. Its a shame. Let times get a little harder, they will be begging you for a lawn job. You will teach them wont you now. :whistle:

Gotta find that right kid that is motivated by the greenbacks. I'm not even 30 yet and I'm still highly motivated by the greenbacks. :beerchug:

Sad but true, one mexican worker is the equivalent of about 4 american workers...they will do it for about half the price and then thank you for the work...

Sad but true, one mexican worker is the equivalent of about 4 american workers...they will do it for about half the price and then thank you for the work...
kinda mostly true... you still have to ride heard on them.. if given the chance, they "siesta" is not just a stereo type thing.. We hired usually between 25 and 30 seasonal workers at the waterpark during the winter months to rehab everything.. as long as I was close by, things got done.. if a crew was put to work on the other side of the facility, only about half as much got done.. they will work as hard as you will (and then some) but I think people as a whole tend to have a bit of lazy built in :)

Hard work is not something kids understand these days. When I was in high school I worked for a guy who built and serviced swimming pools. All spring break I would drain and acid wash pools. Hard work but I would make 300-400 bucks in 5 days. That was good. I worked almost every weekend in school and all through college. I never got told to do it I just did it because I wanted money. Kids just are not motivated like that, mine included.

And whos fault is it that todays kids are lazy video game playing slobs.....Oh thats right the lazy@zz parents that dont beat their ass's for not getting a job...My parents used to lock my brother and I outside of the house after breakfast every morning and wouldnt let us back in until the street lights came on... and My dad made me start working with him on construction jobs when I was 12 and I had to start paying rent and housing because I was making money....

And as for the mexicans being harder workers...they do work hard and I worked home construction for ten years with my dad and I respect those guys....I have seen many of freinds try and struggle to just keep up with us on a job site and then make fun of the mexicans that are just doing their jobs when I was paying them damn good to do half the work they were doing...Its a lazy society we have now and it needs to change quick....Ill jump off the box now...

kinda mostly true... you still have to ride heard on them.. if given the chance, they "siesta" is not just a stereo type thing.. We hired usually between 25 and 30 seasonal workers at the waterpark during the winter months to rehab everything.. as long as I was close by, things got done.. if a crew was put to work on the other side of the facility, only about half as much got done.. they will work as hard as you will (and then some) but I think people as a whole tend to have a bit of lazy built in :)

I don't think you meant to say that all Mexican people have the same work ethic, but your post sounded that way. You used "them" and "they" quite a bit. Just like every other nationality and race, "it takes all kinds". I know you are going on your own experience, but remember that a lot happens outside of our individual existances. The second part of your last sentence gave me hope :).

The problem with Americans isn't "Mexicans" or anybody else. It's the parents of Americans and the rest of us that allow the poor parenting to persist and translate in the real world!!! Raise 'em like their fragile and priveleged and that's exactly how they behave until they get a different lesson elsewhere. If nobody ever fires you for being late or lazy, then you're probably gonna continue to be late and lazy. Wanna change then culture? We all know what to do, we just need to do it. We won't, of course, b/c the problem is that we'd likely get sued for actually holdin' folks accountable.

I don't think you meant to say that all Mexican people have the same work ethic, but your post sounded that way. You used "them" and "they" quite a bit. Just like every other nationality and race, "it takes all kinds". I know you are going on your own experience, but remember that a lot happens outside of our individual existances. The second part of your last sentence gave me hope :).
you are correct.. in fact I should clarify that we also had Guatemalans as a good percentage of workers.. Our immigrant workers "could" be as lazy as any American worker given the chance.. Self starters are so hard to find..

Im just pretty pissed off that I have to be out there tomorrow after working my regualr job raking leaves in the rain. If i had known this was gonna happen I would have done it Sunday when it was nice out. Oh well I bid the job I am gonna do it.

Next time I wont, I just wanted him gone from the customers house before I broke his knee.. I just dont get it,, how can you call your self a man and not finish a simple little task. I will spend maybe a hour and a half over there tomorrow and be done with it. I cant send anyone else over or the home owner might cancel the contract. I know I would not want to see a different person in my lawn raking leaves every day.

anyhow I am going back out here to work on more cop cars..

yea may as well just build a solid foundation on your own labors for now huh? Sure am glad to see it working out so well so quickly :)

And whos fault is it that todays kids are lazy video game playing slobs.....Oh thats right the lazy@zz parents that dont beat their ass's for not getting a job...My parents used to lock my brother and I outside of the house after breakfast every morning and wouldnt let us back in until the street lights came on... and My dad made me start working with him on construction jobs when I was 12 and I had to start paying rent and housing because I was making money....

And as for the mexicans being harder workers...they do work hard and I worked home construction for ten years with my dad and I respect those guys....I have seen many of freinds try and struggle to just keep up with us on a job site and then make fun of the mexicans that are just doing their jobs when I was paying them damn good to do half the work they were doing...Its a lazy society we have now and it needs to change quick....Ill jump off the box now...

You need to raise a few before making judgements about parents, son.

Back