Noticing a gas smell Gen 2

MattyIce 79

Registered
Hi everyone,

Starting to notice a gas smell and it seems to get a little stronger week by week. Seems to be real strong after I ride (the amount I ride makes no difference). When it hasn’t been ran, the smell is almost completely gone (parked overnight). I looked over the bike and don’t see any leaks (on garage floor also).

Diagnosed further by sniffing in certain areas. It’s really strong close to where the gas tank rear hinge is. What do you guys think? How should I start?

Some smell is normal as the tank vents. As you ride you shake it up. Also, sitting in the sun will make it worse.

My other GSXR’s never had this strong of a smell. Maybe my sense of smell has changed, I don’t know

Maybe check the vent hoses and make sure they aren't blocked. If the primary vent hose is blocked, it would cause the vented gasoline to back up under the tank.

If it makes you feel better, I only smell a little gas if I am ripping the twisties (makes me sound like a young guy, eh?).

Maybe check the vent hoses and make sure they aren't blocked. If the primary vent hose is blocked, it would cause the vented gasoline to back up under the tank.

If it makes you feel better, I only smell a little gas if I am ripping the twisties (makes me sound like a young guy, eh?).
Lol, cmon now!! Be easy on yourself:) Anyway, I’m gonna pull the seat and lift the tank this afternoon and see. It just seems to me that the smell shouldn’t be that strong. It does go away after bike cools off a bit. (Almost completely) Thanks Yellow!

Lol, cmon now!! Be easy on yourself:) Anyway, I’m gonna pull the seat and lift the tank this afternoon and see. It just seems to me that the smell shouldn’t be that strong. It does go away after bike cools off a bit. (Almost completely) Thanks Yellow!
Oh btw, I also checked the exhaust for the gas smell. Definitely not coming from there. (Smells normal, not rich at all)

You are also removing the cat of course there's going to be a little more gas smell...a side from a rich tune

Back