noticed problem need advice

hey if i need to buy the tools to do it right i will do it in a heartbeat my buddy also has a busa so it works out both of us learn to repair our own and get to help our other brethren out on the streets of decatur ...that and i love my bike and the opertunity to actually get to say i did that lol

Putting the parts together isn't hard, but like dad said...I'd let a shop do the prep work.

I certainly wouldn't spend a 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight on a ridge reamer and hone tool just to see how my 18 volt drill worked.

If you have a good mechanic helping out you're alright. If he's good, he'll tell you if he thinks you need someone that works on bikes for a living. We have guys on here that do and if they think you need to go a different direction I hope they speak up. Best of luck.

By the way, from memory the cylinder walls are treated, so you might need to do some research.

ok thanks guys i appreciate your help ...hoping to make her right so i can ride to ureaka springs ar again this year ....i love arkansas great roads..

By the way, from memory the cylinder walls are treated, so you might need to do some research.

Don't know about the Gen 1 but if I remember correctly the Gen II are nickel. I forget the specifics on the prep work, but I don't think it is as much required as older engines...I believe there is only one company/shop that actually does replating on these cylinders.

Might be wrong but I believe that is what our research told us last Summer. The piston and rings were installed in no time (was done primarily by my race partner but installed inside a pro race shop with them looking over shoulders), but the prep work was another story.

+1 on doing research and having a good mechanic with you, might save you an engine.

PS: Also helps to have someone available who is familiar with shimming the valves and setting your timing marks the first time that you do it.

Also, I believe there might be some use once bolts, studs, but my memory is so bad and I don't have race engine builders standing over me :poke: you lucky turd :laugh:

You staggered the ring splits :banghead:

so my question is if im burning oil would a valve adjustment fix this or is it possible i have bigger issues
....the rebuild was a new crank one rod new bearing in said rod cam chain adjuster gaskets(of course) and i think that covers it as what i can remember... thanks guys i am:bowdown: to your greatness and wisdom

It seems strange to go into the engine like that and not put new rings on the pistons. Did they take the cylinders off? Why would you not do rings since the engine is in pieces?

Anyway, start the bike up - if it's burning as much oil as you say it will be smoking like crazy. If it's not smoking and runs fine, then I would say you didn't put as much oil in it as you thought you did. I actually mis-counted once while changing the oil and was a quart low for a couple rides until I noticed it.

Ok so here are some pics of the plugs ...I couldn't test compression my tester is the wrong size so have to find the reducer for it or Idk ...the plugs seem dry ...no oil ...look white to me maybe too hot ?

ForumRunner_20120317_192408.png

ForumRunner_20120317_192508.png

ForumRunner_20120317_192408.png

ForumRunner_20120317_192508.png

Also can someone tell me why anyone would unplug or I should say unhose lol the what I believe is the maf sensor which is on the bottom of the air box other than the fact it it may have been faulty ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Forum Runner

First things first!

Do a complete oil change. Make sure the oil level is correct. Ride that puppy and keep an eye on the oil level. If you add oil between changes, write down the exact amount, mileage and date that you add oil. By the next oil change you'll know exactly what your next step should be.

i, got out yesterday on 95 south and I WAS IN IT and rolled up on a state topper, I grad my front brake and down shifting at the same time. my F1 light started flashing , I rode home about 15 miles with the light flashing. I cut the bike off and started it back up and the light was out. DO I NEED TO HAVE THE BIKE LOOKED AT ,IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG??

i, got out yesterday on 95 south and I WAS IN IT and rolled up on a state topper, I grad my front brake and down shifting at the same time. my F1 light started flashing , I rode home about 15 miles with the light flashing. I cut the bike off and started it back up and the light was out. DO I NEED TO HAVE THE BIKE LOOKED AT ,IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG??
Unfortunately it sounds like the biggest problem is you got unlucky and had the typical incompetent shop work on it. If you find the problem, for sure try and make the shop that rebuilt it fix their mistake. If it is an engine problem they caused, it will be big bucks to fix it out of your pocket :banghead:
Thats why alot of places recommend just buying a low mileage used engine instead of rebuilding your own...its hard to find a shop anymore that can actually do any internal engine work without screwing it up :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You might have bumped the killswitch in all the excitement. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

You need to read up on fault codes and be ready to short the connector next time this happens if it does. A fault code will appear telling you the general problem area. Once you turn the key off it's a done deal. Because it reset the way it did and given the circumstances I'll bet you bumped the killswitch.

wait the stealership rebuilt it replacing only one rod and bearings on that.... personally if im rebuilding a motor im going bearings all the way around new rings etc... honestly it sounds like when they pulled it apart they alligned the rings wrong or put them in the wrong order. man without looking at the bike this is a very weird situation

Ya really wierd I will know something more when I go to drain the oil again in a few weeks ...I ride a lot here ....its my mode of transportation lol....but first time that I've had to deal with this kind of issue maybe I should have made them replace all parts ...I felt like they had me by the bearings tho you know :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Forum Runner

Back