1. Folks we are working on the server and doing some upgrades so you might see some lag or downtime today. we will get this back up asap
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing To Do Snowed In!

Discussion in 'Racing Technical' started by fallenarch, Jan 9, 2017.

1. fallenarch

fallenarch I made fun of the panties, now I have them :( Registered

Contests won:
    Reading an article about why racers are all hanging the leg out as they turn in, a habit started by Rossi. Article says no one knows why it works it just feels good. Well it seems to me that counter steering only works with 2 wheels on the ground. The effect of the counter steering makes the bike fall opposite of the direction the bars are turned because the bike is balanced on the 2 wheels. Under hard breaking the rear wheel is lightened or off the ground completely, minimizing or eliminating the effect of counter steering. The bike essentially becomes a unicycle for a few seconds. So hanging a leg out moves the bike+rider CG to the turn-in side of the bike helping to start turning the bike. Just a thought.

2. 1 wheel peel

1 wheel peel Registered

Contests won:
    Sorry to hear about the snow....

Forecasted high of 74*f here today.:poke:

Crazy weather....

3. Rivercop UK

Rivercop UK Registered

Contests won:
    Sticking a leg out acts like an airbrake (As fitted in modern supercars) ... Imagine the force if you stuck your arm out of a car window at 100mph holding a 2ft square board (Approx area of your leg)... Probably snap your arm.

4. fallenarch

fallenarch I made fun of the panties, now I have them :( Registered

Contests won:
    I don't think the leg means that much difference air break wise. Just sitting up is plenty air break. Never forget doing that the first time doing 150+, nearly yanked me off the back of the bike!

5. Rivercop UK

Rivercop UK Registered

Contests won:
    I Dunno ... Even if it makes 0.5% difference in lap times it's worth it in MotoGP.

fallenarch likes this.
  6. VaBusa

VaBusa oRg Gal Staff Member Administrator Registered

Contests won:
    We were snowed in too, ended up binge watching:

FASTER
    FASTER & FASTER
    FASTEST
    The Doctor, The Tornado & The Kentucky Kid
    Hitting the Apex

.........talk about wanting to ride! All great documentaries, all worth watching if you haven't. :race:

fallenarch likes this.
  7. Rivercop UK

Rivercop UK Registered

Contests won:
    Watch 'TT: Closer to the Edge' if you want really exciting bike documentary.

Mike Chambers likes this.
  8. Mike Chambers

Mike Chambers Registered

Contests won:
    Bro. I got a copy at home, we had Michael Dunlop in NZ last December for two rounds of the local super bike series, he was backed by Suzuki NZ

9. Rivercop UK

Rivercop UK Registered

Contests won:
    I'm a Guy Martin fan myself. Was gutted when he left racing. Met him in 2009 at the TT. Cracking good laugh.

Michael Dunlop is a hell of a racer, his style is akin to David Jefferies .... Looks out of control constantly.

10. Gk1

Gk1 Registered

Contests won:
    https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...THZ-PV4WLUMK-86dA&sig2=N89Kw61pQdXNGf38rnDPfg

This is where they have picked up the habbit.

mabupa and fallenarch like this.
  11. Gk1

Gk1 Registered

Contests won:
  12. MC MUSTANG

MC MUSTANG Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9 Staff Member Administrator Registered

Contests won:
    Gk1 nailed it. I think it is the result of so many riders focusing on dirt/flat track training to build their skill, feel and confidence. It is incorporating the leg out for feel/balance and frankly doesn't hurt for clearance either... not educated enough to get into a conversation about drag co-efficient, but Rossi brought it in from dirt bikes and it hit big so now the training and the form are rampant throughout racing... just my .02.

13. mabupa

mabupa Registered

Contests won:
    I'm in Florida, so i don't know what leaning even feels like, but i love watching those kids flying through those dirt tracks and (in my ignorance on racing matters) always associated Both. To me, is like they are using a flesh and bone "feeler" like the ones that are mounted on our footpegs, but bigger scale.