Nothing Happens When I Press Electric Start

Neil Beeston

Registered
Hi all, I have a K3 with a starting issue.
When you press the electric start you get nothing, not a click and no cranking (obviously)
I have fitted a new battery and have good voltage from it.
When you switch on the ignition, the fuel pump kicks in,the lights are strong and the neutral light is showing green. I get the F1 light on briefly but that goes out after a second or two.

I've taken the left side infill panel off and checked the starter fuse along with the fuel pump, all read ok on a multimeter.
I don't know where to locate the starter solenoid to see if that has a fuse, can anyone help?
The bike has been stood for some time covered but has been serviced.
Any help appreciated.

Have you had any starting problems before? Simple stuff is to check the interlocks - kickstand switch, clutch switch, etc... you have already done that...

by meter verifying continuity ? Have you taken the starter switch housing apart to verify 12 volts to button ? If so what is battery voltage when start button is depressed ( load situation )

Haven't got in that deep yet, I'm not that good at the DIY but will see if I can get to the switch. Is the starter solenoid more accessible?

Dont take this the wrong way , but if you admit DIY is not your strong subject maybe finding a local member to assist might be the next course of action .

Does the starter switch feel loose when you press it, or does it spring back like normal? If it feels loose give it a couple squirts of WD40 and keep pressing it until it feels "springy" again. Also how did you check the clutch switch and side stand switch to verify they are working properly?

Also had this problem on a 2000 before (also got the brief FI light). I removed the right grip and took apart the electric start box thingy and the spring was corroded as fudge. So took some cleaner to that and it started up every time thereafter.

Neil,
If you have and know how to use a multimeter and have found and checked the fuses on your own I think you are capable enough to keep digging.
A couple suggestions have been made, give them a try and get back to us with the results and we can help further.

Back