Not yet a new owner but prolly will be soon

ericw94061

Registered
Howdy!  I'm finally planning to get a used Busa for my 50-mile roundtrip daily commute to work and for the occasional longer rides (300-500 mile/day weekends).  I'm thinking the Busa will be my "wintertime sport-touring" bike, and I'll also have a "summertime blaster" bike (Tuono, SuperDuke, or SpeedTrip), but here in the sunny San Francisco area both bikes will get year round use.   I easily do >12k miles/year on two wheels and rarely drive the pickup (except to take the bikes to a trackday); rain riding's no problem in my Aerostich, do it all the time.  Previous bikes are pretty diverse, all bought used: currently on my wife's SV650 nekkid (fun little bikey but I feel huge on it), just sold my VStrom DL1000 (never really liked it and had it only 6 months, boring engine & crappy suspension), put 50k miles each on a '95 Triumph Tiger (great two-upper) and '84 Yamaha FJ1100 (loved that bike--great acceleration and decent handling once tuned), also CBR600, '81 GoldWing (the old school nekkid kind, when I was younger and foolisher), and a few others.

QUESTIONS: any Busa modifications needed for a 6'3" 250# 45-year old?  Any opinions on which are the better years (I'm buying used)?  Are there things you wish Suzuki did from the factory, like almost absolutely necessary modifications (eg PCIII, better shock, or whatever)?

Thanks,
Eric

First of all
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
and Busa or not pics of current and past bikes are required. Now that those are out of the way there are a lot of guys your size and bigger here. For better ergos you might try bar risers to raise the upper body some. Buell pegs in place of factory lowers the feet about 1". A Tobin seat also changes things a bit. The choices for making this bike your own are almost unlimited.

As for the years all are pretty much the same but most will tell you go '03 or newer. My opinion is if you can find a '07 get it. There are some very good deals to be had on them and with some dealers now getting '08's in they should get better.

Whatever you do ride safe and have fun!
beerchug.gif

And the Tigger at Buttonwillow (only 2nd time on track, coulda leaned much further but the soft suspension meant hard bits dragged easily - too bad no pics of the sparks)

Ricky_s_Track_Day_May_2005_011.jpg

Finally, the '84 FJ1100 (first and best year for one of the original superbikes, after that it got fatter and slower). No this ain't mine but you get the point, she's one pretty bikey

fj1100.jpg

Welcome to the org, great pics. BusaBret pretty much hit the nail on the head. Bar risers and lowered pegs should make a difference to you. The Busa is a great all around bike. I have been riding for many years, and the busa is the best bike by far of any I have owned. Since your wife rides her own, you may not do a lot of 2 up riding, but it seems well suited to the task for me and my wife.
beerchug.gif

My pegs are stock, and I didn't raise my bars. The busa is very comfortable to me.

Mine's even lowered 2 inches and I'm 6'7" and 270 lbs.

What mods, well  
wink.gif
 go to the gym
muscle.gif
 cause your going to have to fight the GIRLS OFF  
laugh.gif
. Next, Helibars, lower pegs (I use TL1000R pegs which are a straight swap) , steel braided brake lines and a custom seat. Others, just add to your personal usage and taste  
beerchug.gif

Back