Not to start an argument, but... (RANT)

amsctalx

Registered
I deplore the pointless arguments that I see on some of the other boards, and am loathe to start one myself. But...

Why are post numbers so important to some of you that you feel compelled to post pointless replies in every thread? Some of these replies are just "smilies"! And not just one post, no...it's every post in General and Random Thoughts! Dead post from July!

I don't mean to sound like a cry-baby (but will probably be perceived as such anyway), but COME ON...I, like most of you, have a full life. It is a waste of time to open (lots of!)post to see...nothing.

To me, this board is a fun and imformative community. We discuss, inform, don't always agree but "that's life". I didn't realize it was a contest to get nick-names under our avatars...

Mike

I would agree with you for the most part, but there is still another side.  I really don't think it's a contest of sorts, but if you really read, I feel people just try to express themselves in a manner they see fit.  A lot of what goes on here is in fun and it is a sort-of chat room.  I myself like to add witty comments because I feel as though I almost know most of the people on this board even though I have never met anyone (yet).  I can speak for myself and say that I get a lot of good information from this board, but I feel that it goes beyond just information.  It is a group of people who share a common interest and want to express themselves, learn, inform, and most of all, ENJOY.  I like seeing the post numbers simply because you can tell who are regulars, whether they have something important to say or not.  I am just as guilty as anyone of posting stuff that is not very important, but I find myself, most of the time, trying to add wit to my comments in order to get some type of response from someone.  I, like you, like everyone on this board, but when it all comes down to it, we are one big happy FAMILY.
beerchug.gif

Brian

Bacharles,

That was a fine piece of writing, and I agree.

Posting is informative and sometimes done just for the fun/hell of it.

Some post like this don't have anything to do with the Busa put as you see that's why "Random Thoughts" exist.

Have fun give info and your post #'s will grow.

The numbers simply indicate one's activity not that they are a special or anything.

Post as much as you like or as seldom as you want to.

BACharles, I agree 100% with evrything that you wrote. The issue is "running the numbers up". The post count is useless when people do this. Hence, it is a waste of time AND misleading.

Mike

you're just mad 'cause I'm about to be the next Busa Jedi Queen....
baaa.gif

lighten up brother.....some like what others don't

O.K. Higg, just one more time....QUEEN?
rock.gif
?
Serious skeletons, if you catch my drift...

bRIAN

Simply put, post whoring is just like when I call up my best friend just to tell him that in case he forgot, my sorry fat slow poke butt passed him in the last race, after I went off track twice. It serves no purpose, and really isn't mean spirited, cause he's gonna do it to me when he laps me 3 times in 8 laps next race. In other words, no one really cares, we're just havin' fun.

Man... I should have made this into 3 posts iinstead of just one.

Gar

Brian, it's a joke....6'4", 200 lbs, bald head, white guy in a dress....not very appealing to me or you. Well I can speak for me at least.......
idea.gif

I deplore the pointless arguments that I see on some of the other boards, and am loathe to start one myself. But...

Why are post numbers so important to some of you that you feel compelled to post pointless replies in every thread? Some of these replies are just "smilies"! And not just one post, no...it's every post in General and Random Thoughts! Dead post from July!

I don't mean to sound like a cry-baby (but will probably be perceived as such anyway), but COME ON...I, like most of you, have a full life. It is a waste of time to open (lots of!)post to see...nothing.

To me, this board is a fun and imformative community. We discuss, inform, don't always agree but "that's life". I didn't realize it was a contest to get nick-names under our avatars...

Mike
You answered you own question... FUN!

That's it.

baaa.gif

amsctalx,

(Rookie)
laugh.gif
That was cold Hank... haha I am laughing though.

Give em' hell Mike.. I agree with you on some points.. I hate seeing just smilie posts.. other than that... hammer down,, talk total gibberish. Just as long as theres something to read.

face7.gif
face7.gif
face7.gif

face7.gif

face7.gif

something to read
biggrin.gif

you guys are right....but you know who is notorious for this? Kerberos.....this guy averages like 50 posts a day and half of em are new smilies he makes.....nice bike though........he is kinda funny too.

Now to the point...

I see this place as sort of virtual reality. If we were all parked with our busas on the roadside or in a cafe after a long set of maneuvers, some of us would be talking around the circle and others would be making sarcastic comments, funny faces, silly sounds, laughing and joking in most every subject. Not everyone would have a response to every comment but when someone just posts a smiley, i think it is our way of simply acknowledging that we are there, listening, reacting and being a part of the conversation.

just my .02

if one doesn't like my .02 then just

ok ok

Make sure you look at the "love" category. There is an extra section if you scroll down the right side frame. (DISCLAIMER) these are x rated emoticons. Adults only!

I'm not REAL happy with the posting just for posting sake, it takes up space. Kerbie is right about if we were just hanging around after a ride yakking. When we finally do get to meet each other it will be like we already know each other, and the conversations will continue. (come on Laguna!)

Amsctalx, I agree with you and with Brian (BA). I do sometimes get annoyed when I see pointless posts that are clearly designed to boost the numbers. There are people with 50, 100 and even 200 posts per day! Obviously, some of us get carried away. But at the same time I like the idea of being considered an ELDER member of the family, so I want my numbers to be high.

Frankly, at times I fight myself on the issue of whether I should post a response. I want my numbers up, but at the same time, I don't want to post purely for the sake of boosting my numbers. As you said, I think that artifically boosting one's numbers waekens the importance and status of being a senior member. With all that said, the question is who can draw the line? (NOT ME!) The answer is that each of us must decide for himself. I know that in 90% of my posts, I really had something to say, even if I just said it with a smile. Thus, when i reach 500 or 1,000 posts, I will feel good about myself, and hope that others will recognize me as a "senior family member".

That is all I can hope for.
Thinker

Back