Not Sure What the Problem is?

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, I've been out of things for quite a while now but it will all come together soon. Anyway, got Baby J started today and tried to shift into first and she lurched and died. Kickstand was up and in troubleshooting checked the sprocket cover to make sure everything was tight. I can shift from neutral to first without the bike running, but once its started it ain't happening. What ideas do you all have?

Can you roll the bike with it in first and the clutch pulled in? I just was wondering if your clutch plates could be stuck together a little if it has been sitting for a little while. I know the Roadstar will do that some times. Rev the bike a little while in neutral and pull your clutch in and out a couple of times.

A faulty kick stand sensor
rock.gif

It didn't sound like grinding or excessive spinning in the gear box when you started up did it? How big of a lurch do you get when you kick down into first?

My wife's SV started out doing the same thing, except it wouldn't stall out. It would just lurch BIG when she kicked down into first. It happened to be that her clutch wasn't adjusted properly and her gears were wearing, and eventually some teeth broke off. That doesn't necessarily explain your stalling out, though unless your experiencing wear to your gears and some clutch slippage or something?

I'm not a mechanic by any means and obviously can't give a decent prognosis, but maybe this will help you out.

If you have a rear stand, put the bike up on it, start it and then with the clutch pulled in, shift it into first. If it goes into 1st and the rear wheel spins fast, your clutch isnt disengaging all the way. The wheel may spin slowly even if everything is good. You may be able to get the clutch plates to free themselves with use, but usually you will have to take them out and clean/separate them.

If you have a rear stand, put the bike up on it, start it and then with the clutch pulled in, shift it into first. If it goes into 1st and the rear wheel spins fast, your clutch isnt disengaging all the way. The wheel may spin slowly even if everything is good. You may be able to get the clutch plates to free themselves with use, but usually you will have to take them out and clean/separate them.
Exactly what I did today, clrwtr! I drained, filled and bled the clutch line a couple times and gave it a test while on the rear stand. It shifted into first, back to neutral and all the way up to 6th without a problem. I did notice the rear tire spinning while in first and then stopping when back to neutral. I gave it a try off the stand and while shifting to 1st it lurched and quick. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it into the dealer, but looks like I may have to.

If you do get it to the dealer, please post results. I'm very interested in what the "pro's" say.

put it up on the stand and start it, then hold the rear brake and rev the motor a little more than usual becasu it sounds like the plates are stuck together, and it will take a little more ummppphhh to break them loose. Make sure you do while on the stand that way if it still lurches it won't go anywhere. I have this happen on my 4-wheeler after sitting just a week or two, and once I break the plates loose it works fine.

You can take off the cover where the clutch actuator rod is and make sure the rod is moving free. Also make sure it is moving when you operate the clutch lever

Inspect this cover real good. Cecil's cracked and didnt allow his clutch to operate.

Bleed the system again to make sure you have all of the air out. A mightyvac pump works great for this

take your clutch cover off, pull your clutch fibers... I almost guarandamteeya that some of the fibers/plates are stuck/siezed.....

if so, just buy new fibers.

put it up on the stand and start it, then hold the rear brake and rev the motor a little more than usual becasu it sounds like the plates are stuck together, and it will take a little more ummppphhh to break them loose. Make sure you do while on the stand that way if it still lurches it won't go anywhere. I have this happen on my 4-wheeler after sitting just a week or two, and once I break the plates loose it works fine.
Gonna give that a try this morning. I'll let you all know.

Okay, upon further review I have discovered that the clutch is continuously engaged. I had it up on the stand and went through the gears using the clutch and everything felt okay. Once in 6th gear I released the clutch and the throttle to see what would happen and the RPMs coasted back down to 1100 and stayed there. I called the dealership this morning and he wasn't sure what it was and won't be available to look at it for another week. I am ready to ride now, so can anyone give me some other options to try and fix it or is trying to break it loose my only one? TIA.

Back