Not retiring afterall...

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Well, with all the news stories about social avoidance and virtual marriage, I thought I would let about 25K of my closest friends that I requested that my retirement date (my birthday next year - a couple of months after I am supposed to return from the sand box) be cancelled. So, if we have never met and you never knew, then I suppose there is no change... if we have met and you do know, then there has been a little change... either way,

:beerchug: Here's health to you and to our Corps...

Semper Fidelis

I'm gonna guess this was something you wanted since you requested it :whistle:

You just not ready for civilian life yet ??? :poke:

Semper Fi :thumbsup: keep your butt safe and get home soon :beerchug:

It's a job and something to do. You don't seem old enough to retire yet.... Is the Mrs. ok with this?

Thats an good question, what does your wife have to say!

Congrats on the decision, Shawn!

Looking forward to more details as they represent!

Semper Fi. Do or Die.

The decision was discussed with the whole family; there are definately pluses and minuses - but over all it works for us! As far as not seeming old enough to retire yet, I will definately take that as a compliment!

Well, I know the pains that I have to endure with my marriage and not being home. You definitely have an awesome wife. Tell her we said hello by the way and your kids too!

Wow Shawn, if this is what you want you have my full support. I was looking forward to you coming home, please stay safe my friend.

Well it sounds like you and the family have a plan, Good luck!

Outstanding...keep adding points to retirement and moving up in rank...:beerchug::thumbsup:

Merry Christmas Shawn!

best of luck to you bro...you know we have your back with whatever you choose to do :beerchug:

How many years you got, Marine?

The pay and retirement scale really climbs at those years after 20 if you aren't topped out by rank (22, 24 year marks), but you've got to make that next promotion to keep from topping out, which usually requires some additional schoolhouse time. You've got the deployment so that's good. The hard part is that the snowcap gets pretty tight at those ranks especially in the Corps, and plenty of good people don't make the cut (also depends on your specialty and the population at the next rank).

I stayed til 25 years in the Reserve. I had a choice: Do the schooling/deployment to be competitive and have a chance to make it to the next grade, and potentially lose my wife/daughter and my family's business (a distinct possibility), or call it a day. I chose my family as I was no longer as competitive as I once was. I could have hung out in my current grade for a few more years (without promotion my MRD was 2011), but being the deputy trash officer was not my style. I left on my own terms as Deputy Brigade Commander. I still miss the living crap out of it, and the desire of every warrior to put that uniform back on is very strong, but I sure do enjoy kissing my 8 year old daughter goodnight every night and think I did the right thing.

Come to the bash so I can shake your hand Marine.

Either way, good luck and thank you for your service.

Looking forward to seeing you again! Stay safe! And thank you for your service!

Merry Christmas :santa: :rudolph:

Where are you stationed a right now? I think it's awesome you postponed your retirement. You are a lucky guy to have a supporting wife. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a safe return home! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well plans change and I'm sure you have nothing but good reasons for not retiring. I have to agree with the current jobs situation and the fact that you may have been bribed with a promotion. Just keep building that retirement and stay safe.

:santa:

Back