Nose fairing removal

Stilslo

Registered
I'm getting ready to replace my nose fairing. I did a search and didn't mind much. Anybody have any tips or tricks?

I've removed the nose fairing on a Gen I and and a Gen II. Take off the mirrors, windscreen...I do remember on my Gen I that it seemed the nose would never come loose; turns out there are rubber grommets that are pretty tight...just keep pulling and it'll pop off. I honestly don't recall much about the Gen II, but I wouldn't think it's too different...

Have fun :p

Its not hard. You have to take inner fender pieces off (above the front wheel and attached to the under side of the nose). The mirrors have to come off, the screen has to come out. Take the dash pieces out and you are ready to go. The nose is held in place by the mirror screws and all you have to do it pop it off of the little metal pieces that the mirror screws go into. Once you have the dash off there is an electrical connection (i think its on the left hand side) that has to come undone. The nose has (2) screws that also hold it in place. They are also located under the dash and you will find (1) in each corner of where the nose and sides meat. At that point you should be able to pop it off. Like Vab's said there are a few rubber pieces that help hold it in place that you will need to push and pull to get it off. Be careful because it is front heavy because of the headlight. I am not sure if you can take the nose off with the side fairings in place. I took the nose off my GenII twice but I had all the plastics off when I did it so I dont know if it can be taken off with them in place or not. You may not be able to find a video of how to do it but you should be able to find a link on the org to a free download of the shop manual which will give you step by step instruction on how to do it.

Just took my nose off a few weeks ago and is still laying on the garage floor. Le'me know if you need pics of disassembly. I should do a tutorial on this if it has not been done.

It's a very minor point but I did NOT remove my windscreen. The dash pieces were a bit tricky....especially that top center one. Yes, just keep wiggling and pulling and the whole thing will pull off. It is a lot lighter than I would have expected. The Service Manual covered removal quite well but but the pics are awful as they usually are.

Gen I or II?
I have a PDF tutorial on genII for nose removal. I can email it to you later tonight after work.

Blanca, Why not post your Gen 2 tutorial right here. I'm sure I would have used it a few weeks back when I removed my nose.

(BTW, used your fender eliminator/tag light tutorial. Nice work.)

Blanca, Why not post your Gen 2 tutorial right here. I'm sure I would have used it a few weeks back when I removed my nose.

(BTW, used your fender eliminator/tag light tutorial. Nice work.)

Ill try to do that tonight. It's a PDF file so I have to save images as jpegs to post them.
Djxtrordinaire did it for me.

Here is the pdf.
I'll convert it and post a separate thread soon.

Attachments

• Suzuki Hayabusa Gen 2 Upper Fairing Removal.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,143
If you need help let me know via pm. I'm only down the coast a bit.

I'm going to make a day of it. Everything is on order. Fairings, stator cover, levers, a bar end lil charlie is sending me that he wouldn't take money for:bowdown:. Picked up spark plugs yesterday. Now I wish I had thought about ordering frame sliders and installing while the fairing is off. Might order those today and put off tearing the bike apart until they come in. Come on down, I've got beer:beerchug:

You have to gently lift the nose over the mirror thingys :laugh: No seriously you'll tear the fairing if you get to aggressive. :whistle:

I'm going to make a day of it. Everything is on order. Fairings, stator cover, levers, a bar end lil charlie is sending me that he wouldn't take money for:bowdown:. Picked up spark plugs yesterday. Now I wish I had thought about ordering frame sliders and installing while the fairing is off. Might order those today and put off tearing the bike apart until they come in. Come on down, I've got beer:beerchug:

Are you going cut or no cut on the sliders? I personally would wait and do all the repair/replacement all in one fell swoop.

:beerchug: I love beer...don't threaten me with a good time...I'm off every weekend and usually finished with work around 3:30-4 until the restaurant re-opens then its all day every day till she's runnin to my specs and standards. Which means never:whistle: because I'm constantly thinking of new and improved or Murphy's law kicks in.:laugh:

You have to gently lift the nose over the mirror thingys :laugh: No seriously you'll tear the fairing if you get to aggressive. :whistle:

Yep, the mirror mount is also a fairing mount. pull the fairing out and slide it off of the mount. then you have two rubber grommets in front that you pull the fairing loose from. You see one grommet in step 15 of the pdf.

I did not remove my instrument cluster (step 14 is optional). That is a good thing to do to view the grommets but I just pulled the pegs out of the grommets at this point.

Thank you for posting Blanca...this will help immeasurably because my nose has been off for weeks. bunch of screws sittin in a cup. lol

Back