North korea starting shizzle

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
So I guess north korea slung a rocket at south korea. Anyone have a link?

rooted, rom'd, and overclocked. CM 6.0

Not a rocket per se, but a bunch of artillery pieces. S. Korean president threatening to retaliate if they do it again. I don't want to see this escalate, but how much provocation can the south (and us as an ally) take? Nothing was done after the North sank that ship recently, and now this? If China doesnt rein N Korea in, this could be very bad, for some reason they choose to sit back, I assume that China is testing our commitment to the south asia/pacific rim?

Based on my short stay in South Korea, I learned that is one theater than can get very messy very quick if tensions escalate.

Dang. I have a few friends over there now.

rooted, rom'd, and overclocked. CM 6.0

Based on my short stay in South Korea, I learned that is one theater than can get very messy very quick if tensions escalate.

Yeah... average time to live for anyone along the DMZ was something like 7 minutes, I believe, back when I was serving in South Korea 10 years ago.

South Korea was an interesting place... most of the people seemed to appreciate Americans--event had one old lady come up and shake my hand while walking home (off base) one night in Seoul. The city was dirty (people urinate in the streets, sooty film on everything), and I didn't appreciate living in town because of that fact, but could not complain about most folks I met. Fairly pretty countryside, if out and about, but driving was taking our life into your own hands.

Due to bad experience with GM and my positive experience with the Korean people, I'm driving a new South Korean car now. We'll see how well it lasts...

NK torpedoes an SK warship in SK waters .
United Nations determines it to be an act of aggression.
NK fires over 100 artillery rounds into and onto an SK small island completely flattening a town, killing four and injuring many more.
United Nations determines it to be an act of aggression .
Our reaction.........NOTHING !
An escalation of hostilities there would either become a second very bloody WAR not like the two conflicts we are currently in or it would go to TNWs (Tactical Nuclear Warhead) quick. We would face an opposing well trained and brainwashed uniformed military ready to fight and die
Unlike Iraq and Afg where we face terrorists and guerillas.
Not to belittle anything in Iraq or Afg but our troops there are not facing the same as they would should we have to go to the Korean peninsula again.
Been there Done that and we don't want to go back !
NK knows this and takes full advantage of it.
The recent events are nothing new as NK has been pushing the bounds for many years.

A U.S. supercarrier was sent into the area to perform "joint drills" with South Korea. :whistle:

What options does South Korea realistically have to respond?

The challenge is this: South Korea needs to respond in a manner that makes clear the gravity of North Korea’s actions and to ensure there’s some type of deterrent effect in the response. It could be argued that the failure to do that in response to the sinking of the Cheonan in the spring essentially encouraged this further provocation. And, as you can imagine, the focus is also going to be on China, which made a decision to double down on Kim Jong-il, a decision you could argue has actually enabled bad behaviour.

My best guess is that there’s going to have to be some kind of strike on the artillery positions that are directly responsible for the shelling of the island and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a missile strike or air attack on these facilities. Anything that goes beyond that however could be perceived to be a South Korean provocation. It’s a very difficult balance made all the more difficult by the fact that the North Koreans are pretty expert at brinksmanship. They’ve also already made clear that if South Korea crosses the Northern Limit Line by one-one hundredth of a millimetre, that they’ll respond with all powers of thunder and lightning to destroy South Korea.

What? :google: time

hammertime.gif

i think we need to just go level it and make a new lake. enough bs. We should really mind our own business to be honest with you. We are stretched to thin already.

this is just Kim Jong trying to get a little military credibility for his son. He does not want the world to think the new leader will be weak.

Back