Normal engine noise?

TheDumbGrunt

Registered
Hey all! First post here... and I hope I'm just being paranoid! I recently purchased a 2002 LE Busa... black on black. 22k on the odo, 16 tooth front, Hindle 4-2-1 header through can, air box mod, BMC filter and PAIR mod. Bike dynoed well at 173.8 rwhp with a smooth power curve and great air-fuel ratio. All owners prior to myself were SUUUUPER old (40-50s :laugh:) and it's my understanding they all did their part to maintain the bike properly. I'm sure the only time they went WOT was when they heard Metamucil was on sale at Walmart, so I'm not worried about prior abuse. :rofl:

The bike performs flawlessly throughout the revs, with the only noticeable quirk being the fairly common 5-6 false neutral, which has been solved by leaving my ballerina slippers at home when I ride. Still wearing the tutu, though. Changed the oil straight away when I got her home with Mobile 1 full synthetic 4t racing 10w 40 and a good ole Wix filter. The plugs gapped perfectly with no fouling/ corrosion to speak of, throttle body flaps were very crisp and clean, all vacuum and fuel lines appeared serviceable... bla bla bla. Everything looks in great shape. ANYWAYS, on to my point (sorry, I ramble!).

Though it's not easy to hear over the pipe, when I get down low and listen to the engine at idle, I can hear a constant noise... I would liken it to a small chain being dragged on the ground, and it follows idle speed, increasing in volume slightly with throttle. When revved, it "echoes" the exhaust note, falling behind by about a half second when you let off the gas and there's no difference when the clutch is pulled in. I'm just not sure if this is common with the Busa's or if it's the cam chain, or ??? This is my first big bore bike, and I've read that even healthy Busa's can be a little noisy. To be honest, I know more about the internals of Strykers and Humvee's than I do super sports!

Again, the bike runs perfectly. I'm hoping this will be diagnosed easily and y'all might have some troubleshooting methods... I've read these motors will break 100k with ease. Thanks in advance everyone! Here's a few pics of the Stealth :beerchug:.

busa4.jpg

busa3.jpg

Both my Gen 1's , My Bking, a K7 GSXR 1K and the 2 Gen 2's i've had all have a little chain noise rattle...you should hear them with stock cans.
Without load on the crank from riding the bike they just sound the way they sound.
Is there any service history for having had the valve clearances checked...rarely needs anything done unless the bikes been thrashed all the time.

Take the tutu off and grip it and rip pit

As in bounce it on off the limiter for a sec to see if it will tighten the cam chain? Tutu stays till I make a diagnosis... Momma says it brings out the green in my eyes. :cheerleader:

Both my Gen 1's , My Bking, a K7 GSXR 1K and the 2 Gen 2's i've had all have a little chain noise rattle...you should hear them with stock cans.
Without load on the crank from riding the bike they just sound the way they sound.
Is there any service history for having had the valve clearances checked...rarely needs anything done unless the bikes been thrashed all the time.

No records, but my money says it has been done judging on how well everything else has been maintained. That being said, I don't trust nobody so I'll be digging in her soon to check for myself. That was on the to do list anyways, this gives me a little more motivation. :) Thank you!

It's your camchain tensioner,you can get the update version from suzuki,alot were done on warranty yours could have slipped throu like mine,but it's an easy fix

Get your camchain tensioner insert checked or just replace it.

Bit of camchain noise is normal on any inline 4, Busa is quite noisy at idle though.

Nice looking Busa! An old sage of a rider once told me that cam chains and valves are like small children: if you can't hear them, they're likely up to no good. Some mechanical noise, as you are describing, is normal.

Back