Norcal trip up the coast

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
Yep, the weekend was one of those good ones! Typical coastal weather early on but cleared to a bright and windy sojourn to the north. This first pic is actually of the GG bridge behind the 82 CBX, kind of hiding in the fog. I rode over it to get here but never saw any portion of the bridge except the pavement. The next pic is the bridge from the Marin Headlands on the Sunday afternoon on my way home, just the next afternoon from the foggy one.

DSCN0577Small.jpg

DSCN0649Small.jpg

DSCN0586Small.jpg

DSCN0596Small.jpg

DSCN0637Small.jpg

Rode on over Mt. Tam to get to the coastal route and it began to clear enough to really enjoy the ride as I rode farther. The ride thru Mill Valley and Mt Tamalpais is nothing but turns to the left and turns to the right, up and down a mountain in about 13 miles. Most of the turns on the coast road are more stretched out. Ran across two m/c crash sites heading north, the first, a solo Kawa Vulcan (brand new) trying to follow his buddy on a new Triumph thru a down hill left hander. Tore up the kickstand kill switch and wouldn't start. The rider thought he had a broken rib but was doing alright otherwise. Said his wife was going to kill him! Finally got it started and I rode on. Much thanks for stopping and the loan of a piece of wire I happened to have. Farther up a newer Goldwing had gone into a ditch but looked to be in pretty good shape. Lots of cars stopped for that one so I rode on. Just a lack of attention I think.

The road is the road. You just have to experience it. The forecasted high winds arrived a day early and it was a real adventure riding against it all the way past Westport where the road heads inland. Very thankful I hadn't chosen the 79 CBX for this trip, although its been up there many times. The 82 handles high winds very well. The road does have some corners...and my new ProSus rear shock did very well.

But it also has some very fine straights when you need to let her rip! Although I don't seem to have any pics of those areas because I was probably ripping it! Take my word for it! Rode as far north as the southern entrance to the Lost Coast Hiway near Weott CA just off the north end of the Avenue of the Giants. Very bad road for a few miles but very worth the ride. May be my favorite large tree grove up there. Also, even in the middle of the day, its very dark and peaceful in the grove. Huge redwoods towering overhead. Lush greenery everywhere, ferns, bushes, giant tree trunks. Fallen trees large enough to have broken in pieces as they fell to earth. Long enough to have to be cut in two for the road to be cleared. Like I said, you just have to see them to believe them.

The next day was a windy one but much warmer and the wind was on my tail so that added some 20 horsepower I'm guessing. Sure felt good. Rode over hiway 20 from 101 to 1 right below Ft. Bragg and began the slow(er) ride home south on the coast. Finally stopped at the funny tree/hedge yard along the way for some pics. Very unique!

Also passed 90,000 miles but missed the turnover (after watching for miles) but got a pic anyway,

Beautiful ride home. Stopped at the now visible GG bridge and took some pics. Only an hour from home but first, to cross San Francisco on 19th Avenue. Luckily for me, heading north was gridlock today and heading south (my way) was a breeze. 19th Ave turns into hiway 280, a 3-5 lane freeway with no trucks allowed. As long as my V1 was working, and it was, I could just about ride as fast as I wanted. Pegging the stock speedo (85 mph) is just about right for a nice freeway ride with little traffic and great visibility. Was warming up a bit too and even though I took my mesh jacket I never put it on. Opened the vents on my other one though and changed to mesh gloves. I must say that after many many miles on my 82 Prolink, I just love it! Its a great sport touring motorcycle, even at 90,000 miles.

I'd like to propose that some of us get together for a northcoast ride someday. From the north end of the GG bridge up on the Marin Headlands side, where we could all meet, I know of a great route up the coast for a 2-3 or ?? day ride. The possibilities are.....

Again, they are four across, click on a pic to enlarge and click again to enlarge more, on some systems.

jakerin/Norcal August 08 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Awesome write-up. I'd love to join you on that ride someday.

Maybe next summer...

:bowdown:

Back