Nor Cal

Well that didnt come out so good, but ... Best to get a map from somewhere like www.randmcnally.com For those that are south of me, you head north of Sacramento on hwy 99 for about 70 miles or so... Head toward Oroville hwy 70 winds it way into the mts.

nor_cal_map.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long to get back, I've been putting in the hours at work lately.

Those sneaky f'ers are in the large white Ford sedans (I think its the Crown Vic). No top lights and only the light colored CHP stickers on the doors and no stickers on the trunk. Most have blacked out rear windows except where the blue and red lights are recessed behind the glass. You can't see the outline of the lights in the rear window when coming up on them from behind ....until its too late. I didn't see the large whip antennea either. There are only a couple here in Truckee. The rest are black and whites. They act like SWAT. I bet they all have the Alpha radar that can tell your speed while the car is moving. I don't have a detector anyway.

The sky patrol is usually a scam. It is very expensive to patrol by air and not very effective in the hills. Being a pilot, I know where the airports are. I started to notice that each time I am near an airport, the warning signs for air patrol were posted. One thing about this are that police planes can't fly through a traffic pattern following a highway without clearance from ATC. Repeated clearances would be too disruptive to the flow of air traffic. Instead I think the average driver can't tell the difference between a police plane and any other light aircraft. This driver would see the sign and look up. He sould see a random small airplane in the pattern and think it was a cop flying low and following traffic. He would slow down. So for the cost of a sign they can trick most drivers into slowing down. Smart and sneaky. The places where aircraft are actually used are on long, straight and remote highways like I-5 near LA. The ones up north are the airport scam like at Livermore (airport), outside of Tracy (airport) and Patterson (airport again). Urban areas have helicopters.

Pacemaster, how you been? My Busa is 35 pounds lighter so far. That is 445 lbs dry and about 490 wet. 22 lbs was the Akrapovic race exhaust and PAIR removal. Galfer wave rotors up front lost 2.5 more. I moved about a dozen other things not needed to reach 35# off. I plan to fabricate carbon fiber rearsets, a carbon subframe and dash frame this summer. that should be good for another 16 pounds off. And if I can sell some more homes up here I will get Magnesium wheels or maybe carbon wheels. That would be another 10 to 15 lbs. So the beast may get down to 410-415 dry? Then it will be in range of the GSXRs, R1s and others. But a hell of a lot stronger pulling.

Hope to have this all done by Laguna Seca. I'll buy you guys a beer and we can talk bikes.

That map of hwy 70 is where I ride up north. The new section of road near buck lake is the nicest strech of asphalt I have ever seen. Twisty and smooth. VERY FAST. lots of adrenylin.

Oh yeah, I remember Bucks Lake, and the ride to Greenville is pretty cool too.

See how cool this is... I was riding the 70 just north of there thru yankee hill and along the feather river now I wanna go try rippin around the bucks lake area... thanx guyz!

Sierra those carbon wheels are awesome, you can hold em straight out with 1 hand, but I was told they wont hold up on the street.

Out of curiousity, who said they wouldn't hold up? Was it a competitor with magnesium wheels?

From what I have read and my experience with carbon says that it has infinite fatigue life. I mean it doesn't get weaker with repeated flexing like magnesium does and to a lesser extent aluminum. I'll bet the delaminating wheel story is urban legend even with a sharp impact like a pot hole. I felt the weight of a pair last year at Laguna. Both wheels are about 10 pounds total. Very cool indeed.

Tires are a different story though. Did you see Miladin's rear tire explode in turn seven at Road Atlanta last week? He was doing about 165-170 mph when the tire flew apart like a retread. It took the rear end off the bike in shreds. Matt was able to ride it out through most of the gravel pit and then gently high-sided at a much lower speed. He was fine but the bike could not return to the pits. He DNF'ed, so Yates took the race and championship lead. Eric B. got second place. Eric is riding like a scalded cat with his 800 Kawi. He has to against the GSXR 1000.

The owner of a bike shop in Honolulu handed me a Carbon wheel last year and I was like ... whoa! He rides a turbo busa at the drags but I think the bike belongs to his friend. Anyway he told me about the frailty of the wheels. I havent talked with him lately so maybe they are gettin better.

Scarey stuff a tire comin apart at any speed! How come Kawi doesnt race a 900 at least? Bostrom would probly run away from everyone if he had more HP...

HawaiiBusa,
I was doin about 85 in a 55 zone and yes the radar detector works but it went off about 3 seconds after the CHP & I saw each other,[/QUOTE]

I was reading an older road test of the Hayabusa back when it came out, and they made the comment that the Busa was allmost impossible to measure with the radar gun from the front, they had to wait for it to pass before they could get a reading.  Apparantly the aerodynamic sculpting also plays havoc with radar.    

Stealth, an extra bonus...

I didnt have a detector and got tagged last June on my favorite stretch of road in Hawaii. I was doin about 95+ came up over a rise and saw the trap... slammed brakes, down shifted ... he still got me from straight on at about 65. He asked me how fast was I going before I down shifted? I said " I dont know, I was lookin at you." As he chatted with me another car came from the opposite direction, cop raised radar gun and had a reading in about 2 seconds! I was amazed they could get it so fast. Anyway he wrote me up for 65 in a 45. I wrote a letter and got the fine reduced a little.
I didnt ask what type of radar they use but I assume its "instant on" or laser... but I do know it works on Busa's.

Scarey stuff a tire comin apart at any speed! How come Kawi doesnt race a 900 at least? Bostrom would probly run away from everyone if he had more HP...
Hawaii, The superbike rules only allow bikes based on 750's a 2mm overbore which yields something like 788cc for the Kawi. The real killer is that all bikes have the same minimum weight of 370 pounds. The Kawi used to weigh 355 so they had to add 15 pounds which has caused some problems in the handling department. I am amazed at how good EBoz has been this year with the disadvantages.

Mladin's tire exploding was crazy, I couldn't believe he was able to ride it out as well as he did. Good to see he was not hurt even though he is a %#^*.

Check out www.amasuperbike.com this is the best site for AMA as well as World Superbike and MotoGP news.

Back