non-O-ring chain

I'm not sure as to an actual mileage or time frame.....I've known guys who lubed them constantly with motor oil..(what a mess that was:O lol)...but they do need to be checked/lubed aLOT more often than o-ring types. I just visually look and run my finger along a section every few rides....but watch over-oiling with thinner lube if you like a clean bike....it will make a mess
wow.gif
tounge.gif
And as to cleaning....honestly, on my streetbikes I never really take my chains off to clean them....but I'm a fair weather/pavement only rider and have never really seen the need.On my dirt bikes ect for an off the bike clean I use kerosene for non o-ring.... diesel for o-ring (easier on the o-rings), and scrub with SOFT bristle brush...then let it drain good. WD-40 would work fine for an on-the-bike clean of a non o-ring....but its kinda hard on some rubbers so I would keep it away from o-rings. You could soak a rag in kerosene or diesel and (with gloves
wink.gif
) wrap it around then run it along your chain on the bike if its starting to look dirty....that works pretty good too. And remember to use a good chain lube after you clean
biggrin.gif
.. Hope this helps:;):  
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Back