Noise around 2500 rpm

qball

Registered
I'm hearing a noise around 2500-2000 RPM's when slowing while still in gear. It seem to happen it all gears. It sounds like a rachet or a tappets? Looking for help!

That's a very low rpm... almost idle. And most people here probably have never had their busa that low (while riding) in 2-6th gear. I don't mean to sound like a smarty pants, but is this while riding? With your helmet on? Just saying that 2500 is a pretty low rpm while riding and with a helmet on it's gotta be hard to hear.

So... can you "feel" anything? Or just hear something fishy?

I'm not an expert, though... others here are the pro's! But that just seems like a low rpm to worry about (could be wrong though). I'd be more concerned if I heard some wierd noise around 6k where it really matters.

I hope everything is ok with your bike! Also, stating the year/mileage would probably help guys here determine your issue.

I'm hearing a noise around 2500-2000 RPM's when slowing while still in gear.  It seem to happen it all gears.  It sounds like a rachet or a tappets?  Looking for help!
I'm downshifting well before 2-2.5k RPM or pulling the clutch prior when coming to a stop staying in 1st or 2nd while looking behind me for rearending cagers.

Only time I'm in that range is like Pandemic said, accelerating from a dead stop in 1st gear. What happens when you park the bike, put it in neutral then throttle it up to 2.5 RPM and hold it?

Try that and see if anything is still going on.

Exactly. While riding, you will hit 2k rpm right off the bat... it's like almost being idle.

Most of us here probably take off over 3k!

Please give more details so people here can help you out.

I don't think I've ever been at 2500rpm in any other gear besides 1st.... most here will say the same.

So please give more info. Because of the help I've received here, I want other riders of the "king" to get the same treatment....

P

The bike is making this noise when coming to a stop and still in gear. I have tried all gears to see if it the trans. Even in neutral and you hold it at 2000-2500 rpms the tapping noise is there. No don't ride around at 2500 rpms but some time down shift when coming to a stop light, but now it’s that I know that the noise is there I do pull in the clutch.

The bike is 05' LE with 5400 miles. The noise does sound like the valves/lifters you would hear on a car. Do I need the valves adjusted so soon?

Thanks for the reply.

exhaust leak? I wouldn't worry about most of the noises you hear on a busa. I don't worry about it until somebody you are riding with tells you it is annoying.

The bike is making this noise when coming to a stop and still in gear.  I have tried all gears to see if it the trans.  Even in neutral and you hold it at 2000-2500 rpms the tapping noise is there.  No don't ride around at 2500 rpms but some time down shift when coming to a stop light,  but now it’s that I know that the noise is there I do pull in the clutch.  

The bike is 05' LE with 5400 miles.  The noise does sound like the valves/lifters you would hear on a car.  Do I need the valves adjusted so soon?

Thanks for the reply.
I'm assuming this is 2nd gear? Hope your not downshifting into 1st.

As you likely know the Busa tranny is clanky and the engine does make some ticks and clicks, so this must be something outside of normal noises made. And I'm assuming all maintenance is up to spec and you've had no problems - warranty work, bike down, etc.

I'm at a loss...hopefully somebody else can provide some insight.

It's in all gears including first. If you have the rpms between 2000-2500 you can hear it with and without the helmet on. It’s not that load to be annoying to other rides, but they are able to hear it. I'll try to make a recording of the noise this weekend it rain out now and have to work out of town till Sunday. Thanks for the help!

Check your chain, if it is loose, it will bounce around the front sprocket instead of settleing in - the noise can sound like a clanking coming from the case. It was happening on mine when I would first start moving, because of the low end torque, then started happening when shifting into all gears....

Just something to look at...

If it's before warmed to operating temp it's just the cam tensioner adjuster before pressurized and "normal".
If it's after warm up then it's just "normal" Busa noise. I hear my valves ticking and just twist the wrist to make the yoshi's sing and drown it out!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154542938 -->

mine does the same thing around that rpm. I now have 20k miles on it. Will get the valves checked on the next service.

My stock UK 06 busa does exactly the same thing. The milage is currently 2600, and 6 months old. As I write this, it's sat at the dealers with the Suzuki rep inspecting it. The problem started approx. 200-300 miles ago. Initially just a small vibration noise that I chose to ignore, it's turned into a nasty buzz that really gets me worried, to the point that I won't ride it till it's gone. I can live with the 4500-4900 vibes, but not this one.
Mine does it in any gear and neutral, moving or stationary. It's definately not transmission related, although I've got a clunky gearchange and a knock when I set off sometimes. With the tank up I can hear a slight tappet noise at tickover. And trying to hold 2200 rpm with the twistgrip is virtually impossible. It's my first fuel injected bike and I'm not impressed. Are power commander's a good investment?
One last thing. Some of us ride slow at times, so comments like "ride it like you stole it" aren't constructive to us guys with the problem. I can see the funny side and would laugh if it wasn't mine playing up. I love to open it up but a few things put a stop to it.
1, My wife is permanantly on the pillion seat and I've nearly lost her twice due to the grunt!
2, UK roads are crap! Our roads are designed very biker unfriendly, and are poorly maintained with nice deep potholes ready to bounce you off, or manhole covers on the riding line going round bends, ready to wipe your back end out at the slightest sniff of dampness.
3, Speed cameras! They're popping up everywhere! When you do find a good road to have a blast on, the fuzz pick up on it very quickly and send in the un-marked camera cars.
4. Inconsiderate and dangerous car and van drivers. Bikers are looked upon as scum by about 80% of UK drivers, and they go to great extremes to keep you behind them.

The dealership shop told me that it is in the clutch plates, and need shims. Said that it is not a problem and that i'm not doing any damage to the bike, so I'm rideing it till the end of the riding season witch is coming up with the cold temps. Then I'll get it done.

The noise on mine is definately top end, although it could be something vibrating around that area. My main problem is getting the dealer to hear it! I told them 2200 rpm, and suggested they use the tickover screw to raise the revs at a steady rate. Thay got back to me and said they couldn't hear or feel any vibration at 2000 rpm! Useless twats! It's got a very narrow band where it does it, and they're probably riding it like headbangers, well above the range. I get the impression they regard me as being a little paranoid, but if it was a new car, no-one would put up with a warranty fault, so why should we?
P.S. What shims? I can't see any in the Suzuki manual. The clutch is essentially late 70's gs/gsx with the slipper mechanism thrown in. Nothing special in there.

Been there, in my case it was a vibration on the windscreen.

Try this: while at 2200-2500rpm try to push the windscreen a bit foward and check if the sound gone away. If gone, take your windscreen out and put some electrical tape at the inner edge of the screen, then install the screen, take a ride and let me know.
wink.gif

True about the windscreen had to do this in the first 500 miles. The shims are not the right word, it's the clutch plates them selfs they are different sizes and at 2000-2400 rpms a get the nosie. The dealer said that a thicker clutch plates should help?

double check the bolt holding the speedo ring onto your front sprocket.. mine came loose and broke the cover.. after takeing it off the bike was quite on the ride to the dealer... wasent tight from factory

I JUST HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM AND THE DEALER COULDNT HELP ME SO I DID RESERCH AND FOUND THAT THE CAM CHAIN TENTIONER WAS IN FACT BAD. IT HAS A RACHET ADJUSTER IN IT AND IT WILL CLICK BACK AND FORTH CAUSING THIS SOUND USUALLY WHILE ITS COLD BUT MINE GOT TO WERE IT WAS DOING IT ALL THE TIME. IT IS VERY EASY TO INSTALL AND CHEAP (50 TO 70 DOLLARS) DO IT YOURSELF. ALOT CHEAPER THAN MESSING WITH THE CLUTCH.

same problem here, I agree with PDBusa its the cam chain tensioner. I am on my third one under warranty, and every time i would get it back from the shop there would be no noise. Suzuki has now said its normal, and i have to live with it. I have a post under Busa Problems, and getting good feed back. People are recommending the manual tensioner, but I've heard good and bad things. The rattling is worse at decceleration, at least on my bike.

Back