No start

Rob419947

Registered
Howdy folks, Just joined the group tonight and just got my 2014 Busa last week with only 2000 miles on the bike and have discovered it has a hot start issue... If I run it in heavy traffic and it gets good and warm it won't start after being turned off for about 15 minutes... The starter begins to spin for about 1 revolution then I hear it groan to a stop... I can hear it trying to turn but nothing... I see a video on YouTube about the starter gears getting bound up on the support shaft and wanted to ask if there are others experiencing this issue... With only 2K on the bike I wouldn't think the starter is bad... Suzuki's in my past have been very reliable and I think that's still the case... Pointers anyone???

IMG_20190112_170348707.jpg

First of all, welcome and beautiful bike you have.

Secondly, mine doesn't have this issue but I offer hope someone has some advice.

Howdy folks, Just joined the group tonight and just got my 2014 Busa last week with only 2000 miles on the bike and have discovered it has a hot start issue... If I run it in heavy traffic and it gets good and warm it won't start after being turned off for about 15 minutes... The starter begins to spin for about 1 revolution then I hear it groan to a stop... I can hear it trying to turn but nothing... I see a video on YouTube about the starter gears getting bound up on the support shaft and wanted to ask if there are others experiencing this issue... With only 2K on the bike I wouldn't think the starter is bad... Suzuki's in my past have been very reliable and I think that's still the case... Pointers anyone???

View attachment 1592038
Welcome!! Where are you from?
Mod list?
Did you purchase from a dealer or private seller?
No cold start issue at all? Ever?
Still have the yuasa battery?

Welcome!! Where are you from?
Mod list?
Did you purchase from a dealer or private seller?
No cold start issue at all? Ever?
Still have the yuasa battery?
I'm from Phoenix. It was 60 degrees out the first (and worse) time it did it... The only mod it has are the Yoshi slip ons. Other than that it's just like Suzuki built it... I got it from a private party, no dealer involved... It cranks fast and starts quick when it's cold... No issues there at all... Yes, I still have the original battery... I was going to try a new one before I tear into the starter motor...

A lot of other members have more knowledge but I have experience this with a friend who had a 2012, in the heat of summer he would have hot start issues. He changed his battery and it resolved. What was happening was the fans when they came on overloaded the charging system. I can’t recall what battery they put but a battery is fairly cost effective and many members have had very good luck with lithium batteries. They are also less susceptible to amp draw.

Also maybe previous owner didn’t have a tender on it, 2,000 miles on a 2014 is only 400 a year. The battery could just be tired.

A lot of other members have more knowledge but I have experience this with a friend who had a 2012, in the heat of summer he would have hot start issues. He changed his battery and it resolved. What was happening was the fans when they came on overloaded the charging system. I can’t recall what battery they put but a battery is fairly cost effective and many members have had very good luck with lithium batteries. They are also less susceptible to amp draw.

Also maybe previous owner didn’t have a tender on it, 2,000 miles on a 2014 is only 400 a year. The battery could just be tired.
Totally agree!!! My other bike always has the tender on it... This battery has probably sulfated since it's been sitting so long...

Stock battery = junk. Gave my new 2014 battery away to a friend who rides a lot. It died in a year. A 2014 model battery is is over 5 years old from production date.
Batteries are a consumable part like tires / oil. Seen more batteries fail and ruin trips.
Like this one 18 month old 8n a C14.
Good thing I carry a spare lithium battery.

DSC_1073.JPG

DSC_1072.JPG

Stock battery = junk. Gave my new 2014 battery away to a friend who rides a lot. It died in a year. A 2014 model battery is is over 5 years old from production date.
Batteries are a consumable part like tires / oil. Seen more batteries fail and ruin trips.
Like this one 18 month old 8n a C14.
Good thing I carry a spare lithium battery.

View attachment 1592039

View attachment 1592040
I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple... I am going to trash the original battery and see if a new lithium unit makes the problem go away...

I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple... I am going to trash the original battery and see if a new lithium unit makes the problem go away...
I’m sure you will be happy with the result. Beautiful bike, keep us informed, snap some photos....we love when people share!!

Back