No start

Ray Sierra

Registered
I have a 2003 hayabusa with 3,894 miles I currently purchased a new battery, Everlast ES9BS after running the bike I started smelling a faint hard boiled egg smell, after a few hours the smell was so strong, not knowing I continued riding on to where my bike finally shut down, after pulling over I tried starting my bike got a click, I removed my seat then I seen the battery spitting out fluid I touched the batter it was HOT, I let it cool off and tried to start the bike still clicks, also I didn't hear the fuel pump prime at all, I later got a jump the bike cranked up but no priming of the injectors, also the FI light was flashing, can anyone help?

Ray are you sure the battery you got is correctly matched for the bike?
If its hot and spitting fluid it's being over used and melting itself. Buy a correct motorcycle battery after you return that one. You shouldn't have continued to ride after you initially smelt something funny. Most likely youve melted the battery cables or worse?

Thanks for the quick response BB - initially i did not know it was the batter till it died, but i did check wires and the cables look good...will try looking for a NEW and BETTER battery, this still does not explain why my fuel injectors are not priming.....

I did that with my first boat. I didn't know I needed a special marine battery. I got about a mile from the dock and kaboom.......battery blew up, acid all over the place:banghead:

389 miles a year on a bike that probably doesn't track right. In reality you're probably talking 370 miles a year.

Anyway, I hope you didn't get a 6 volt battery brother. If it's a 12 volt battery take it back and claim they gave you a bad battery. When you get the new fully charged battery installed crank the bike and check the battery voltage at 5K R.P.M.s should be around 13.6 VDC. If it's way high like 15 or 16 volts you'll more than likely need a voltage regulator. Check the manuals for exact test procedure and voltages.

Check that first statement because a 6 volt battery would have never cranked the bike to start with.

And ride that frigxing bike once in a while :laugh:

From the quick search I did you bought a cheap battery at wal-mart that's rated at 115 CCA your bike comes with a Yuasa YT12A-BS which has 175 CCA. I'm betting your bike is alright unless the battery you burned up damaged something and you need to buy the right battery.

I started smelling a faint hard boiled egg smell, after a few hours the smell was so strong, not knowing I continued riding on to where my bike finally shut down. I later got a jump the bike cranked up but no priming of the injectors, also the FI light was flashing, can anyone help?

Your bike is giving you signals that IT IS NOT RIGHT. As already pointed out, probably got the WRONG battery. Put away the keys and stop riding until you get this issue sorted out.

As stated earlier the size you bought is not correct for a Hayabusa. However, it should not have boiled over / over charged like that. One of two things has happened:

1: Battery was defective from Walmart. It did start the bike on its own and even though Walmart sells crap batteries it's unlikely. It could have possibly been over filled with acid or sulfated from sitting on the shelf.

2. Your regulator is shot and it's putting more than 14.5 volts out.

I'm guessing #2. You can check this yourself with a DVOM (volt meter) or have a local mechanic check it once you have acquired the correct battery.

well as a newbie i did purchase the wrong battery :duh: i currently have a NEW and correct battery, and have not installed it as of yet crossing toes and fingers here...and thanks for the info guys, oh yeah and robert i do ride the bike i just bought it from the original owner with that low miles :laugh:

ok so now that i have the correct battery in my busa, that still leaves me with why the pump is not priming??? i checked fuses and i checked power from the pump and the connector which leads me to beleive that the pump is not working...my question is there a fuse or a relay near the battery? for the fuel pump? i have yet to take the tail off to confirm.....

thanks, i have already checked the fuses all fuses are good and tested good...im assuming its the pump...it does not even prime up when the key turns on...

Back