No Start, No Dash Info - Bad ECU?

Smitty70

Registered
Just completed rebuild of my 06 after it has sat for several years. Fired engine for first time this morning. It started normally, i could hear relay, fuel pump prime, etc. It sounded great, oil pressure and all looked good. I let it warm up at fast idle for a few minutes. Then varied rpms gently. Still good, so set idle back down to about 1200. Pretty happy at this point, but then it just quit. No cough or sputter, just shut off instantly. I turned key off and back on. This time no fuel pump prime noise and even no numbers/info showing on dash, completely blank. Did my ecu just die? Any suggestions what to check? I've never seen a blank dash.

Battery terminals, fuses and connector plugs. Given that you just put it back together, my money is on something simple that didn't get tightened all the way...
Yep had that happen to me...wiggled a few wires, cleaned the battery terminals and away it went...

Ok, might have found problem.. 10A fuel pump fuse blown. I will replace to see what happens, but of course now need to determine what caused it to blow. I did replace the stock pump with an AEM pump, wonder if that has something to do with it?

Going to try fuse replacement...

Well that was it. Replaced fuse and fired right up. Didn't let it run long. Gotta investigate why it blew. Maybe related to high flow pump, but wouldn't think it would draw that much more amps. Also, with fuse out, i measured 11 volts across the fuse terminals with key off.. would have expected none?

Years ago the fan fuse blew on my 06 and it was just that the fuse failed, no cause that was apparent and no fuse has failed since.

Maybe related to high flow pump, but wouldn't think it would draw that much more amps. Also, with fuse out, i measured 11 volts across the fuse terminals with key off.. would have expected none?

What is the current specification for this pump? You can likely find it on the product page on the web if you do not have the instructions. There are pumps that draw 12-15 amps. Make sure that it is not merely good temporarily due to a strong brand new fuse.

Why 11 volts at the circuit? That should be the same voltage as at the battery, which should be a lot higher.

Thanks guys, i will double check fuse size. I'm sure you're right.

Will also double check the 11 volts. IF i remember correctly, i was getting 11 volts with key off (i would have expected none?), then full batt voltage of 12.8 with key on. I was a little sleepy at the time, so will recheck tonight. Been working on this thing every night. Engine was out sitting in pieces on my work table a week ago.

Back