No Shift after Rebuild

If the linkage is right the problem is likely internal to the transmission. I’ve seen a lose shift star give similar symptoms. But I’ve also found the alignment rings missing so the trans shafts could move in and out.
If he didn't get into the transmission, is it likely to have suffered an internal failure? You're far more experienced than I am, and I realize anything is possible, but if it shifted before he pulled the motor and he didn't get into the trans, internal parts don't typically just go bad do they?
Not arguing, just want to understand.

If he didn't get into the transmission, is it likely to have suffered an internal failure? You're far more experienced than I am, and I realize anything is possible, but if it shifted before he pulled the motor and he didn't get into the trans, internal parts don't typically just go bad do they?
Not arguing, just want to understand.
I thought I read he just rebuilt the engine? If he changed main bearings that means the lower cases were apart.
But no, I’ve never seen anything in the trans go bad from sitting. Sometimes you’ll get shifting issues with the bike running because the clutch dried out from sitting. Other then that it should be fine.

I thought I read he just rebuilt the engine? If he changed main bearings that means the lower cases were apart.
But no, I’ve never seen anything in the trans go bad from sitting. Sometimes you’ll get shifting issues with the bike running because the clutch dried out from sitting. Other then that it should be fine.
Gotcha. Maybe he did a rebuild, I'm not sure, but what you're saying makes sense. Thanks.

FIXED!!!! :banana:

As i thought thru this, like you guys i was also thinking the internals should still be fine. So i focused on the clutch and gear shift mech. Removed clutch pack, confirmed pushrod was oiled and moving freely, oil soaked all clutch plates and carefully reinstalled, then carefully torqued pressure plate. Similarly disassembled and reassembled gear shift. Made sure it moved thru gears by hand then put it in first before closing it up. In my haste, i musta just had something in a bind. Haste makes waste they say.. hate it when they're right!

Test ride was fun. Didn't push it, but it's gonna be fast. Now, calling my dyno guy for a tune hopefully tomorrow, then off to Texas Mile on Thursday.

Thanks all!

Can you post a build thread on the bike please. Very curious what’s all done to the motor and chassis. I have a 1397 in my busa.

Back