No Shift after Rebuild

Smitty70

Registered
Ok, I'm putting my 06 back together after complete engine rebuild after 7 long years sitting broke. Everything reinstalled, but now it doesn't shift. Feels like it will only go up one gear then back down one, will not continue further up or down. I can roll the bike when i pull in the clutch. Based on other threads i removed the shift shaft cover, and no broken shaft spring or detent spring. With cover removed i can turn star gear by hand while rotating tire, and it will move through all gears. Have it back in Neutral now. Any suggestions what to try next??

Thanks. Headed to Texas Mile next week, hope i don't have to run my golf cart instead!

It won't shift while you're riding?
I haven't riden it yet. Just got engine reinstalled. Ready to fire it up, but noticed the shift problem when i rolled it off the lift. Want to get this resolved before i try to start it. It has been sitting for years, but it shifted fine when i parked it years ago due to burnt valve and piston.

I have seen them not shifting without the motor running and shift fine once they're running. I'm not sure what causes it, but it happens. Seen it on multiple occasions and bikes.
Mine won’t shift but once up or down while not running. Try riding to see what it does

Mine won’t shift but once up or down while not running. Try riding to see what it does
Wow, I'll be excited if that's all it is. Guess I'm just comparing to my cruiser which will allow you to shift through all gears while not running. Guess my next step is to button up the shift cover and get the engine fired up. See what happens.

Did the bike fire?
Fired the engine for the first time this morning. Fired up just fine. Sounded great, oil pressure and all good. That's the good news.. bad news is that after running for 5 minutes or so, it just quit and won't restart. Now chasing some electrical issue i think. I will make a new post. Ugh. Will come back to shift issue after i sort out electrical.

Yes on fuel in tank. Completely fresh C-16 fuel. (This engine is 1397 with 13:1 CR).

When it quit, it was idling fine then just shut off instantly, like i turned the key off. Now, it will crank strong, but not fire at all.

So far, I've checked as follows,
- ground seems good, all tight, i get batt voltage between pos batt terminal and anywhere on frame or engine
- i have batt voltage to the ecu with key on and run switch on
- pulled the connector to the in-tank pump, I'm NOT getting voltage to pump when i turn key and run switch on.

Smitty, I just installed my engine and ran into the same scenario bro, check the way you installed the shift linkage!!! I had to fiddle with it a while, had it reversed at first then after it felt like it wouldn’t shift anywhere. Shoot me a message and I’ll send you a pic of how it should be!!

Yes, so far new fuel pump fuse has solved engine issue. Starts and runs fine now.

Now back to shift issue. Hope i just installed something wrong. Love some pics BH.

Unfortunately, with engine running still stuck in neutral. Won't shift up or down. So sleep deprived at this point no telling what i screwed up! :banghead:

Yes, so far new fuel pump fuse has solved engine issue. Starts and runs fine now.

Now back to shift issue. Hope i just installed something wrong. Love some pics BH.

Unfortunately, with engine running still stuck in neutral. Won't shift up or down. So sleep deprived at this point no telling what i screwed up! :banghead:
Did you take pics of the shift rod on the shift shaft before you took it apart? If it won't shift at all, start there.

If the linkage is right the problem is likely internal to the transmission. I’ve seen a lose shift star give similar symptoms. But I’ve also found the alignment rings missing so the trans shafts could move in and out.

Back