No Phillips Island spoiler, but...

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
If you haven't heard what happened, watch the race!!! You won't believe it!!!

Ok, I'm waiting to watch it at 9 am EDT on Fox Sports 1. Saw in practice that tires were blistering at about 14 laps (because of the new surface) so the FIM mandated a change of bikes during the race after no more than 14 laps (first time ever). Hayden mentioned in practice that the winds were unusually high so Ducati drilled holes in the upper fairing and went with a low windscreen.

Watching now and they just said 'change of bikes coming up.'
Huh? Wtf? Never have I seen any Motorsport swap vehicles mid race?

But I will say the super slo mo shot of Marquez sliding around that left hander was awesome.
Just leaving the slightest mark from the rear alllllll the way round. Wow.

Watching now and they just said 'change of bikes coming up.' Huh? Wtf? Never have I seen any Motorsport swap vehicles mid race? But I will say the super slo mo shot of Marquez sliding around that left hander was awesome. Just leaving the slightest mark from the rear alllllll the way round. Wow.

Keep watching!!!

Well that was messed up. Kleenex stock just went up due to Marquez's team.

While I agree (begrudgingly) that Rossi has been surpassed as the top rider in the field today, he is still one of the beat sportsmen and a truly gifted rider towards the top of the grid... He belongs in MotoGP!!!

Ok, I'm waiting to watch it at 9 am EDT on Fox Sports 1. Saw in practice that tires were blistering at about 14 laps (because of the new surface) so the FIM mandated a change of bikes during the race after no more than 14 laps (first time ever). Hayden mentioned in practice that the winds were unusually high so Ducati drilled holes in the upper fairing and went with a low windscreen.

It was Bridgestone's inability to provide a compound suitable for the circuit/conditions/new surface. They were experiencing major failure after 12 laps in practice sessions.
Race direction deemed the length too long for safety sake, shortened the race to 19 laps with the condition that each rider will not exceed 10 complete laps, forcing them to change either tires or bike upon completion of the 10th lap. It was a great race! Lots of action, lots of WTF moments and a very surprising outcome.

When Hayden is on fresh tires, he's really quick. Too bad he didn't go to Aprilia for their new MotoGP team, but I think he'll perform well on the Aspar Honda next year--probably ahead of Ducati, unless Audi insists on some major changes to the bike.

So why not do a regular pit stop like IOM or Daytona?
Come in swap tires, fill up and go. Swapping bikes seems really strange to me?
Maybe quicker but if they are making rules up as they go they should have just mandated one pit stop at riders discretion.
Formula one does this all the time. Drivers come in and go when they want or they push it and pay for it by losing positions or crashing out. To say no more than ten laps period is stupid.

F1 mandates that you use the softer and harder tire compounds during the race. The 10-lap change was for safety; nothing else. Last thing the FIM or Pirelli wanted was a tire blow out at high speed.

Looks Like the motogp officials watching too much NASCAR..
Maybe penalty come and go in the pit but not disqualify from the race ... What a crock of sh$$ rule..

Looks Like the motogp officials watching too much NASCAR..
Maybe penalty come and go in the pit but not disqualify from the race ... What a crock of sh$$ rule..

I don't necessarily agree with the rule either but it was a rule and according to some of the commentators, it was very clear that they cannot go more than 10 laps without a bike swap. I'm a MM fan but he broke the rule so he has to take the punishment.

I am convinced it was the combination of the extra lap AND the way he exited pit lane that got him DQ'd...

Back