No More Superbikes for KTM – CEO Says They’re Too Dangerous For Public Roads

Driving is also too dangerous for public roads :rofl: :banghead:

Sad...really a sign of the stupid times we live in...

I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily. I actually agree that superbikes are to the point they are way beyond street performance. I think the manufacturers see the potential to sell even higher performance bikes if they go track only. We are seeing the benefit of that in bikes like the R1M and H2R. I think all he is doing is defining a new class of bike with unlimited performance that is available to the public. Imagine watching a SBK race on Sunday and buying the bike on Monday. That's sort of cool actually.

While I agree that motorcycles, not just sport bikes, have more power than they need. I think this is a bad decision. The general public and everyday rider do not do track days.

Stefan Pierer does not give a damn about Superbikes being dangerous to the public, he is just interested in making money and saving face with a bike which does not sell. It is in the same league as Buel, it did not sell.

This is a guy who bought Husqvarna Motorcycles, closed down the factory in Italy, got rid of 250 Italian employees and now sells a KTM with Husqvarna stickers on it. No worries about all the bike owners who need spare parts, they have to hope the designs and drawings sold to China will end up as a possible new parts source, which is doubtful. Then he says he cares about the public? Give me a break!!!

What a load of chit. The argument is absurd as the S1000r makes much more power and would eat the RC joke.

BMW has transformed their line up in the last 8 years and look at the results...

What liter bike does everyone want , hmm. KTM? Nope. The one with best chassis and most power--BMW

B

I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily. I actually agree that superbikes are to the point they are way beyond street performance.

I disagree, I believe street limits are below the performance of new tech. Of course there are safety concerns of doing 65 in a school zone but why don't we have a autobahn here in the states. If we did, would that change your opinion? To me it seems we'll have flying cars someday but still be limited to 60-65 on the "high"way.

Edit: Also, since when has a motorcycle rider been a threat to anybody but himself on public roads. Last I knew, if a motorcycle smashes into a car, the rider gets hurt, not the driver. There are exceptions but few.

Well think what you like but there are several people right on this site that can build a 500hp Busa so why doesn't a factory make one? Because it's crazy. I would prefer that you go to Frank to get a bike like that and the effort and money involved weeds out some of the idiots. This keeps the number of these bikes down to a minimum, which is as it should be. KTM makes some of the greatest street toys ever made (990 Duke is just plain awesome). The RC8 is also an awesome bike and one of the few liter sportbikes with a street focus rather than a track focus. If you read the article the CEO of KTM did not exactly even say what the headline implies. It's funny, people would rather get all crazy over a CEO speaking sensibly and let the Man come down on our sport and ruin it.

To each his own. KTM voluntarily dropping out of the competition with other manufactures may just be a way for the company to save some money while conceding. As a consumer, we lose, competition is a good thing in the market place.

Hasn't Triumph quietly done the same thing ?

Back away from the hyper-sports / Sportsbike market and stick to something else.
In Triumphs case, nakeds, cruisers and retro's.

I see it more as an attempt to save face in a market they were struggling in.

Uhm maybe because KTM has no business in the hypersports market! Now, if they made a chainsaw I would be buying one of those

Dangerous my ass! do you know how many friends I have who ride dirt and have suffered broken collar bones, tibula/fibula, as well the humorous, radius and ulna bones!

I remember wen 180 hp to the wheels from the GP bikes back in the early 90's was considered brutal. now thats ur standard super bike that can bought from any dealer.

the next month or so we will see quite a few fatal motorcycle accidents cause these guys buy them with tax money and trailer them out cause none have licenses but its legal to trailer it away then they will get on their 200 hp super bike and eat the guardrail.

I guess the CEO at KTM probably has more money then he needs and cares more about ppl dyeing then profits. I guess its possible someone worth millions has a soul....:boohoo:

Back