No more SSB (Super Streetbike Mag) :-(

gfunko

Registered
As I eagerly awaited by August issue of SSB (formally known as Super Streetbike) Magazine, I was caught off guard when I received an issue of Sport Rider in the mail. At first I assumed it was just a courtesy mag trying to rope me in to a subscription to that magazine. Much to my dismay, I read on the insert, "effective July 2013, Super Streetbike had discontinued its publication" and that I would receive Sport Rider for the remainder of the issues owed from my subscription. Not to hate on Sport Rider, as I am sure its a great publication, but it lacks any coverage on the custom bike scene (more so the slammed, stretched, chromed, blacked out, candy color, overly excessive bikes that I love to see) not to mention all the reviews and test on new products for the scene (from the annual exhaust shoot out to reviews of fat tire swing arms). While I appreciate the Sport Rider and its content, I know the custom scene is not its forte so I don't expect it to have that coverage. I am fairly disappointed in that I am no longer getting SSB and hope I can find any way of reading up on the custom scene outside of constantly visiting website such as Roaring Toyz, Garwood Custom Cycles...etc.

If you guys know of any publications, please let me know. Oh and for you haters that want to bash the slam/stretched custom scene and yada yada...please hold your comments as I'm not here to hear you bash on "why we do that to bikes and blah blah blah".

I was wondering what had happened. I dont have a subscription so when I noticed it wasnt on the magazine rack I didnt know what was going on. Glad to know I am not crazy.

Nope. Plus, the little insert mention the publication ONLY, so I assumed that SSB would be going strictly online (which is cool by me) but even upon check new and such from the website, there is nothing on there about them discontinue the publication and going strictly to online services? All activity has pretty much stopped. I could be wrong at the time of this post but even their facebook doesn't reveal much info. I think I am starting to fear for the worst...

I used to subscribe, but the articles went downhill in th elast couple years. Sorry to see it go, though!

You know, I definitely won't argue that, lol. I think its more or less the fact that I (or we) lost our only outlet for custom bikes as far as publications go? Cruisers, cars and trucks all have multiple mags that cover custom rides in different variations...

I guess one can hope

I got a sport rider mag too. Bummed out and want my money back.

Very big bummer. I liked that they did all types of customs from long and slammed to all out drag over the top knee draggers and turbos. Very disappointed.

I stopped reading SSB mag. when the "over the top" bikes started to dominate.

Just read Maxim and Sport Rider at the same time, you won't know the difference.

You know, I definitely won't argue that, lol. I think its more or less the fact that I (or we) lost our only outlet for custom bikes as far as publications go? Cruisers, cars and trucks all have multiple mags that cover custom rides in different variations...

I guess one can hope

I'm not at all surprised! Looks at the magazines you are comparing it to. There is a VERY small niche market for the bikes that they primarily featured and I think a lot of people got tired of it and canceled subscriptions. SSB did a poll in one of the issues asking what people did with their motorcycle and wanted to see featured in future mags. Custom bikes were like 3% of the audience yet they still continued to do a major amount of publicity to that market. Why?..seems the company that bought those publications saw that and did what any successful business does in a tough economy, closed doors.

You've still got bling rockets or whatever the online magazine is for that type of stuff.

Honestly, it's an electronic age; they either need to have more instant access for the magazine (Facebook, forums, etc.) or have a magazine that actually tailors to what the readers want. These niche markets won't cut it anymore, especially in an economy that has seen a drastic DROP in motorcycle sales all together.

I'm not at all surprised! Looks at the magazines you are comparing it to. There is a VERY small niche market for the bikes that they primarily featured and I think a lot of people got tired of it and canceled subscriptions. SSB did a poll in one of the issues asking what people did with their motorcycle and wanted to see featured in future mags. Custom bikes were like 3% of the audience yet they still continued to do a major amount of publicity to that market. Why?..seems the company that bought those publications saw that and did what any successful business does in a tough economy, closed doors.

You've still got bling rockets or whatever the online magazine is for that type of stuff.

Honestly, it's an electronic age; they either need to have more instant access for the magazine (Facebook, forums, etc.) or have a magazine that actually tailors to what the readers want. These niche markets won't cut it anymore, especially in an economy that has seen a drastic DROP in motorcycle sales all together.

I suppose you are right, looking back I remember that poll and it was really just a matter of time? Whats odd though is that I think they have even given up on the digital forum. Looking at SSB's facebook page and website, there seems to be no indication of continuation for what used. Honestly, I think it has more to do with just straight turning their backs on their customers vs losing an actual publication to move to website or social media. Granted like you said, its a business so I also get that they would pull the plug on it if it wasn't making them any money and such.

My guess is when they stopped the magazine the writers didn't want a pay cut doing online only so they probably left all together. Look at the FB page, you can see the exact DATE that things switched hands... :(

There is a July 2013 issue on my iPad app. Looks like they're going to online only, I'd try to see if they'll transfer your subscription to the new app or something.

There is a July 2013 issue on my iPad app. Looks like they're going to online only, I'd try to see if they'll transfer your subscription to the new app or something.

I received the July issue in the mail, did others not get it?

I did get the July issue...and I also did notice that the "online" issue is 1.99. Was there something that I missed for future issues being online?

Back