No knock warrants banned in Louisville

Long time coming.
Good policy.
Police powers expanded in 1960s and 1970s after war protests and raging street crime. Now we're returning to a more sane approach.

This law should be nation wide. The red flag law should be abolished.
….and here in Canada, they are mulling over introducing a red flag law...

If someone armed were to break into my house right now while I'm home and I decided to use a weapon to defend myself (at the risk of going to jail). I would have to go get the key to my gun cabinet, use the key to unlock the trigger lock, find the key to my ammunition, then unlock that.

After all this, I'd have to load one of my weapons (with limited rounds) and REALLY wonder if I should use it or not....

….and our government has decided to ban most of our guns even after all the other restrictions we have on their use...

The bad guys can get their hands on almost anything.

If someone armed were to break into my house right now while I'm home and I decided to use a weapon to defend myself (at the risk of going to jail). I would have to go get the key to my gun cabinet, use the key to unlock the trigger lock, find the key to my ammunition, then unlock that.

After all this, I'd have to load one of my weapons (with limited rounds) and REALLY wonder if I should use it or not....

….and our government has decided to ban most of our guns even after all the other restrictions we have on their use...

That's crazy!
You might want to have a crossbow handy if they aren't against the law there.

I agree that the red flag laws are flawed and in need of an overhaul, but I do think that access to firearms should be restricted in certain cases. No rights are absolute, this one is no different.
Firearms are already restricted. If you have a felony on your record you cannot legally buy a gun in the US. If you were convicted of narcotic use, protection order filed against you and so on. How many more restrictions are needed?

That's crazy!
You might want to have a crossbow handy if they aren't against the law there.

For now they are legal...but heaven help you if you use one on a person...we don't have a "castle law" here.

There have been cases where the home invader got beat up by the home owner and sued the home owner.....and won....there have also been cases where the home invader hurt themselves trying to break in and tried to sue the home owner but thankfully didn't win their cases...just for the courts to even look at such a case was eye opening.

All that said, if someone tries to conduct a home invasion in my home, they will be in for a devastating surprise...

Firearms are already restricted. If you have a felony on your record you cannot legally buy a gun in the US. If you were convicted of narcotic use, protection order filed against you and so on. How many more restrictions are needed?
Mental health is a big one, but not just anyone who seeks services. My better half is one of the people who have the authority to involuntarily commit a person to a psychiatric facility, if they go voluntarily they can keep their guns. She's often explained that to patients. A lot of the vets she encounters are reluctant to get help because of stigma, but also because they're afraid they'll lose that legal right. And the vast majority of them shouldn't lose it, that's why I agreed that it needs to be fixed. If people who need help aren't getting it because of fear of losing rights, something's very wrong.
For me, the type of felony conviction ought to matter as well. Drug or property crimes? Whatever. Violent crimes? Gone.

Warrants of any kind have to be signed off (authorized) by a judge. If the judge is doing their job they have to be convinced of the necessity of the warrant, no knock or otherwise. Officer/community safety is up front and destruction of evidence is next. There has to be absolute evidence that the person they’re looking for is at that address and that address has to absolutely be shown to be the correct address. Cause also has to be shown that imminent danger exists as the reason for a no knock warrant; “Exigent circumstances - "circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to believe that entry (or other relevant prompt action) was necessary to prevent physical harm to the officers or other persons, the destruction of relevant evidence, or the escape of the suspect.” There (are) circumstances that merit the need for no knock warrants, but they have to be obtained properly and executed properly. Therein lies the problem. I’m not convinced that a complete ban on such warrants is the right direction to follow. Proper training for the judges and the police should be enacted (now) and procedures should be revamped before issuing any more.

Mental health is a big one, but not just anyone who seeks services. My better half is one of the people who have the authority to involuntarily commit a person to a psychiatric facility, if they go voluntarily they can keep their guns. She's often explained that to patients. A lot of the vets she encounters are reluctant to get help because of stigma, but also because they're afraid they'll lose that legal right. And the vast majority of them shouldn't lose it, that's why I agreed that it needs to be fixed. If people who need help aren't getting it because of fear of losing rights, something's very wrong.
For me, the type of felony conviction ought to matter as well. Drug or property crimes? Whatever. Violent crimes? Gone.
If there is a valid reason for someone to file a red flag order against somebody they should be evaluated before their guns are taken. Right now the police show up and take your guns and you have to hire a lawyer and fight to get them back. Right now in some states someone that may not like you or is mad at you can file such a claim. That needs fixing! We do not have a red flag law here in KY but I feel for the states that do. One guy was already killed when police showed up to get his guns.

Well that indicates that your weapons are not for home defense. An unloaded weapon is worthless and one that is not readily accessible is no better.

If there is a valid reason for someone to file a red flag order against somebody they should be evaluated before their guns are taken. Right now the police show up and take your guns and you have to hire a lawyer and fight to get them back. Right now in some states someone that may not like you or is mad at you can file such a claim. That needs fixing! We do not have a red flag law here in KY but I feel for the states that do. One guy was already killed when police showed up to get his guns.
Yeah, that would be a problem, especially without due process.
I can't speak to other states, but here in Illinois it takes something much more substantial than someone not liking you to lose the right. In the example I used, she is a licensed psychologist, the person has to be a threat to themselves or someone else, and anyone she involuntarily commits will have their case in front of a judge within 48 hours for review.

Warrants of any kind have to be signed off (authorized) by a judge. If the judge is doing their job they have to be convinced of the necessity of the warrant, no knock or otherwise. Officer/community safety is up front and destruction of evidence is next. There has to be absolute evidence that the person they’re looking for is at that address and that address has to absolutely be shown to be the correct address. Cause also has to be shown that imminent danger exists as the reason for a no knock warrant; “Exigent circumstances - "circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to believe that entry (or other relevant prompt action) was necessary to prevent physical harm to the officers or other persons, the destruction of relevant evidence, or the escape of the suspect.” There (are) circumstances that merit the need for no knock warrants, but they have to be obtained properly and executed properly. Therein lies the problem. I’m not convinced that a complete ban on such warrants is the right direction to follow. Proper training for the judges and the police should be enacted (now) and procedures should be revamped before issuing any more.
There has been too many mistakes throughout the years where the police have went to the wrong address or street with a similar name (e.g. Oak St, Oak Ct).

Also if some breaks in a persons door without siren, lights, people are going to think it is a break in as the case here in KY. The boyfriend fired a shot thinking it was a burglar and the police fired 27 shots back killing a 27 year old EMT worker. Also the police face more of a risk of being shot because they were mistaken for a burglar.

I agree that the red flag laws are flawed and in need of an overhaul, but I do think that access to firearms should be restricted in certain cases. No rights are absolute, this one is no different.
I am 1000% pro gun. But I’m also very pro common sense. Things like not letting violent criminals and felons own firearms makes sense.
but the second hand market can’t be regulated and in my opinion shouldn’t be, not by Uncle Sam. However... I think that when someone buys a firearm from a dealer, they should be responsible for it from there on.
say you buy a gun and sell it to someone or give access to your guns to someone who uses it in a crime you should also be held accountable.
it would give people pause before they sell their guns.
As for the no knock warrants... The amount of people murdered in cold blood by police assaulting the wrong address... this restriction should have been made a national restriction long ago.

Back