NO FUEL... WON'T START

Whoadi96

Registered
2000 Hayabusa. Fuel pump primes but the injectors are not spraying & the bike will start when starting fluid is applied.
The Yellow and red wire has 12v for 4 sec when the key is turned on.
Because the bike does run with starter fluid, i know i have spark, i know its not the tip over sensor or the kick stand/Neutral switch.

I checked all the wires from the injectors to the ecu for continuity, all were good.
I swapped the ecu, cleaned the fuel pump, bench tested and cleaned the injectors (All 4 sprayed perfectly).
Removed the fuel rail from the pump output line to ensure fuel is reaching the injectors.

I'm thinking now it has to be either the Fuel Pressure Regulator or maybe the pump is not providing enough fuel (I seen fuel pouring from the pump when the key is turned on).
Can someone please provide additional troubleshooting steps.?

regulator on a 2000 is on the external pump. and there is a screen in the pump regulator assemble that is notorious for clogging
search for it on the site. maybe just aftermarket pump and regulator time

@202mphbusa you are correct. Ive already ordered the replacement screen, just waiting for it to arrive. It didn't look HORRIBLE but could be replaced. In order to determine if that was my issue, i removed the fuel rail, turned on the key and got a consistent stream of fuel which leads me to believe i'm getting fuel to the rail just not through the injectors.
Now maybe this a clue but i'm not sure. When i removed the fuel rail, fuel was still coming out of the pump output line VERY SLOWLY. Is it supposed to do that or should it stop until the key is turned on? Once i turn on the key, fuel will pour out of the line.

@Mr Brown i swapped with a 2000, exact same part # 32920-24f20.

The fuel pump and relay operate from the same power source and i checked the wiring harness to be sure i was getting power and continuity from the injectors to the ECU.

If the bike will start with starting fluid, the kickstand is up, everything else is working correctly. What else could cause/effect the injector not to spray?
Even after bench testing and cleaning, could the screen still need to be removed from the injectors?

Battery does have 12v and also using a jump box to ensure the voltage doesn't drop.
The line coming from the pecot is going to the bottom of the fuel pump which i was told is the supply line and the top line from the fuel pump is going to the return.
Both have the Metal covers on them.
Fuel lines aren't blocked. If i put the supply line on the tank and leave the return line off, fuel comes out the return line.

@Mr Brown i used that write up you to remove the pump and clean it.
GREAT INFO, but i did all that before i made this post.
As i mentioned i've already ordered a replacement filter, i'm getting fuel to the rail but nothing from the injectors and i KNOW THEY work because i bench tested and cleaned them at the same time.

@Mr Brown i used that write up you to remove the pump and clean it.
GREAT INFO, but i did all that before i made this post.
As i mentioned i've already ordered a replacement filter, i'm getting fuel to the rail but nothing from the injectors and i KNOW THEY work because i bench tested and cleaned them at the same time.
If your looking in the throttle bodies are the injectors not spraying?

Last thing I can think of is fuel volume. Is it possible that the petcock got turned while you were doing all this? I know it looks like there isn't a way to turn it, but there's a slot cut into it, it can be turned on and off. If it's between positions, it may let enough fuel through to gravity feed, but not enough volume under pressure. this happened to me....

I double checked the slot, made sure it was in the correct position then turned the tank down and allowed fuel to run out of it just to be sure i was getting a full consistent stream of fuel.
@Mathewrussell52 you are correct. to double check this, i removed the entire fuel rail with the injectors from the throttle bodies. Fuel output was still connected to the fuel rail and STILL NOTHING... LIKE NOT EVEN A DROP FROM EITHER INJECTOR!
I'm headed back now to remove the pump again. Remove the fuel rail and injectors again, bench check the injectors again (Although i know they are working), dissemble the pump assembly and try to flow test the pump with 12v.
Puzzling part is i've tested the part's individually and they all appear to be working correctly.
Next step is to remove the pump, disassemble it and flow test the pump itself.
I'm going to also bench test and re-clean the injectors.
Lastly if those fail, i'm going to see if i can find an exteranl fuel pump from autozone or something, power it with 12v and connect it directly to the fuel rail and see if the injectors will spray.

Are the injectors seated correctly? If you have fuel at the rail but noting from any of the injectors its not an individual injector problem. Spitballing here, but either it's a mechanical problem, i.e. something is physically preventing the fuel from getting to or through the injectors, or it's electrical i.e. the injectors are not being told to fire. Do you have the old ecu, and why did you swap them to begin with?

Great point have you check that. I would look up how to test but I would assume pull off the caps and put the bolt meter on it crank and see if it’s seeing voltage or the correct voltage.

I have a gen2 stock I don’t think it had a fuel return. If fuel goes through regulator then to rail and back to tank that’s no pressure. Don’t know the fuel system but thought you said it had a in pump regulator.

I have a aluminum parts between the plastic injector caps, that I made. they have a plug so I can put a gauge on the FUEL RAIL
that is the only place I measure to set fuel pressure
not the outlet of the pump, or anywhere else
I actually put the gauge just before the exit to the rail, so all the injectors are getting fed before I take a reading(it shouldn't matter but hey I sleep better)

Turned out to be the pump not providing enough fuel.
I purchased a small external pump, hooked it up and BOOM... injectors are now firing.
I replaced the ECU after verifying continuity from the injectors to the ecu. Since everything else was working and i could verify fuel was getting to the rail, i tried the ECU as it tells the injectors when to fire.
@Mr Brown i put the old ECU back on, so if you know anyone that's looking for a working used one let me know.
I'm going to see if i can find an aftermarket replacement pump as Ive already ordered the strainer to try an get it back up and running.

@Mr Brown will it fit inside the external pump housing? Looks like it'll need to be modified to work properly. I found a direct replacement fuel pump brand new on ebay for 80.
I seen some other replacements, but again modifications would need to be made.
I already have the stock filter coming so i wanna stick with something that will allow me to get it back together without a bunch of changes.
Now if you're telling me that it's much better and you have all the info to mod it properly, please share lol.

Turned out to be the pump not providing enough fuel.
I purchased a small external pump, hooked it up and BOOM... injectors are now firing.
I replaced the ECU after verifying continuity from the injectors to the ecu. Since everything else was working and i could verify fuel was getting to the rail, i tried the ECU as it tells the injectors when to fire.
@Mr Brown i put the old ECU back on, so if you know anyone that's looking for a working used one let me know.
I'm going to see if i can find an aftermarket replacement pump as Ive already ordered the strainer to try an get it back up and running.
Glad you found your problem!!:thumbsup:

@Mr Brown will it fit inside the external pump housing? Looks like it'll need to be modified to work properly. I found a direct replacement fuel pump brand new on ebay for 80.
I seen some other replacements, but again modifications would need to be made.
I already have the stock filter coming so i wanna stick with something that will allow me to get it back together without a bunch of changes.
Now if you're telling me that it's much better and you have all the info to mod it properly, please share lol.
If you plan on the power output any in the future, the stock pump is inadequate. The Bosch is an affordable upgrade, and you're spending money anyway. I've never been a fan of replacing stock with stock if there's something better out there. As far as location, you can put it anywhere. Mine is mounted on the subframe. Just gotta plumb it. The place where the stocker goes is not a good location, it gets hot. One of the reasons for the switch to an internal pump in 01.

Ok guys.. i'm back with the same issue.
what I've changed/replaced; Spark plugs, injectors, Fuel Pump from Hamilton Motorsport, Fuel Filter, Removed the strainer from the bottom of the fuel pump-cleaned with carb cleaner, ECU.

Ive only been able to get the bike running on starter fluid & aftermarket pump i purchased for fuel transfer connected directly to the fuel rail with the injectors. The pump is a small edelbrock with just a positive and negative connection hooked directly to the battery. With the small pump the bike will start, idles if i keep the choke on, but its not enough fuel to keep it running very long. This is the ONLY time ive seen the Injectors actually pulse and spray fuel. The spray is a pulse and not just one consistent stream of fuel which lets me know the injectors are not just OPENING and spraying but are actually being commanded/controlled by the electrical system to inject the fuel. With the OEM new fuel pump and filter installed, when the key is turned on, you can hear the pump turn on for 4 seconds but the injectors do not inject any fuel. If i open the throttle, hold up the tank and look into the throttle bodies. The Injectors spray one or two drop of fuel ONLY when you hit the start button and then nothing. If i stop cranking it, then hit the start button again... 2 drops of fuel come from each injector and then nothing!

what the hell could be causing this?
Does anyone know if i take the fuel rail off the pump with the tank still connected if gas should still be coming out? Its not very fast, its not like the pump is running and pushing it out, but i can clearly see fuel still coming out the pump with the key off.
Could/Would this be symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator?
I just got the parts today, tried to install them and see what happens. I haven't had a chance to go back and hook up the external pump again to see what happens.

Because i seen the injectors actually spraying with the small pump i assumed;
The fuel rail is not clogged, the ecu is sending the signal to the injectors, the pulse generator is operating correctly, kickstand/Ignition switch/Start stop switch is good.

Why the hell can i see fuel coming out of the pump going into the fuel rail but its not coming out of the injectors with the factory pump connected?

Again the only thing i can say i haven't changed is the Fuel pressure regulator but would it cause this issue?

Back